1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why dont people ask..."whats the best bass for" other than metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    when ever i see the "whats the best bass for metal" i do bloody laugh... but i have never seen any one ask whats the best bass for folk, or funk, or soul.. or country?? or maybe they do but its less common so there isnt a sticky for it.... why is this question of this particular genre so common..?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Because true metal people, or at least the teenage variation of that sort, seems to care a lot about what's "metal" or not.

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    What's the best bass for Polka?

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    We heavy metal folk are very literal-minded.

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I think because generally younger people who are new to TB are more inclined to be interested in metal. And the default 1st post by newbies usually is "Whats the best bass for metal?".

As TB users become more familiar with the forum, they become aware that with the nearly infinite configurations of a bass instrument, there is no such thing as a "best bass for _______ ".

imo.

6. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    There is nothing more "metal", than not caring if anyone else thinks it's "metal".

7. Idk , I dont really find humor in it-it gets as old as the newbs asking it.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I think it's called a tuba.

wraub

9. Those threads are around but far less frequent. You know, the funny part is that 'metal basses' are basically an entire market segment all own their own. You don't see any other genre marketed to as heavily in the bass world. Just about every major bass company has a model, multiple models or and entire series of basses meant to appeal to folks who play metal and yet they seem to ask the most questions about what bass they should play.

What's even more interesting to me, is that I rarely ever see "How do I get this sound?" coming from the metal bass crowd. That's a reasonable request - you have a tonal goal and you're looking for a way to get there. Instead I see "What should I sound like?" As if that's something we can tell them how they should sound or what they should want.

I listen to a TON of metal and though I don't play a lot, I've found that literally EVERY fretted bass that I have ever owned (this is not hyperbole) can crank out a sick tone for metal in those rare times that I feel like jamming on some.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    maybe because metal fans have their own subculture, I think that this question is asked by mostly young people that just started to play bass in the metal scene and they want to be sure to get a bass that fit them well in that enviroment.

11. Can you get them in sunburst w/tort?

12. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I agree. I don't think it's so much a metal question as it is a beginning bassist question asked by guys and gals just starting on the instrument. If you don't know yet if you are making a lifetime commitment to the bass, or have very limited funds, you really want to get the best instrument possible for your band situation that you can right from the get go.

If Leo had designed a bass shaped like a spider that said "Fender Metal Bass" on the headstock, a boat load of questions and discussions would never have started here. :)

13. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    yeah but not everyone who starts out on bass is into Metal... i started playing and i was/am into soul funk etc....

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Agreed.

15. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Squier did it. The HM bass was a HUGE success :confused:

16. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Because everyone knows the best bass for every other genre is Rickenbacker :D

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Perhaps, people interested in other genres can figure it out on their own? :bag:

18. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Active or Passive?

19. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    very good point K

20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I meant the question was more of a newb question coming from kids who play metal. Obviously the 'what bass for..' questions come most often from metal kids, and in my opinion it has more to do with their newbness than with metal. Maybe it's the weight of "the look" that forces the question, I don't know. Most of the metal I listen to comes from the 80's, and I don't play any of it ;)