Why don't people like Jack White's playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by theuzedrk, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Ok, I've been wondering for quite some time now. A year ago or so Guitar Player did an article on Jack White. They recieved all sorts of anti-Jack White letters. In various other places, including here, I've read anti-The White Stripes posts, or mentions of them in post.
    Can someone please explain to me, just what the problem is with The White Stripes?
    My thinking is that they are jealous of Jack's guitar playing, but I could be wrong. :confused:
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm sure that is it. :D
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think your wrong about the reason. OTOH, I like his playing, despite its technical merit. It's the rhythm section that bores me to tears.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I think it's that, while Jack is a skilled songwriter, he isn't doing anything particularly new or doing it very very well. His guitar playing is good, there's nothing especially unique about it that makes it worth studying over Keith Richard's, George Harrison's or Dave Davies' (whom Jack emulates in many of his songs).

I think there's been a lot of hype surrounding Jack White because there's a dearth of guitarists that are doing anything really new or interesting with the instrument, plus, with the advent of synths and digital technology, the guitar has been pushed to the background in a lot of ways. With the White Stripes, you have a band with a retro style harkening back to the 'guitar hero glory days', plus the guitar pretty much carries the band. So Jack is made into a modern day guitar hero even though he's no better than Mick Collins, or any other Detroit Garage Rock guitarist.
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The scariest thing about Jack Whites playing is I live in Detroit where everyone wants to sound like him!! And as mediocre as he is (and thats all he is!) , his imitators really suck. :bawl: The guys I listened to grew up listening to Robert Johnson, BB King, Muddy Waters . The next generation everyone wated to sound like there imitators, Eric Clpton, Jimi Hendrix. Now unfortunently there is NO ONE TO LISTEN TOO ecspecialy on gutiar in pop music. And were left with a generation that wants to sound like Kurt Corbain :rollno:
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My thoughts: Meg White is the reason the White Stripes get so much crap. Jack... his voice is a tad rough, not in the good way, in the sorta bad weird way. His rhythm playing is decent. How would I fix things?

Meg White: Out
    Jack White: Rhythm Guitar ONLY
    Bass Player: In
    Good Drummer: In
    Good Singer: In
    Good Lead Instrument (Guitar, Keys, Horn, Something): In

So basically, Jacks an OK rhythm guitarist... that's it.
  8. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004

+ Infinity
  9. Jack White is an ass in my opinion. He can't play, he's in a crap band, and he's violent.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    and he's violent.

the von bondies are better, from what i heard. even though the lead singer isn't a better fighter...

russel crowe would take jack white, though.
  11. Yeh he assaulted the lead singer of the Von Bondies. I mean, jeeez, Jack White is tiny.
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    What's this violence thing about? I hadn't heard anything like that before.

Matt- I think the white stripes should leave off with a lead, the vocal melody is the lead, IMO.
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Is that all? People make mistakes, does he have a history otherwise?
  14. Well there was a court case.
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    He has a knack for writing a great hook, but his guitar playing just sounds like a bunch of Robert Johnson and Skip James riffs played through a Fuzz Face. Or at least that's what it seems like to my ears.
  16. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Is this what other people told you? Because I think the Von Bondies are crap. I'm not a big fan of either band, but when it comes down to it, I'd choose the White Stripes.

Yes, he's violent, a lot of musicians are violent, is he still a jerk? Yeah, but not by that alone.

Nick, how can you complain about him being violent when you listen to Slipknot?
  17. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    the only thing that got me into Seven Nations Army was when Metallica played it on MTV during their medley. Their version of it sounded sweet.
  18. either way, the stripes suck cuz all they are is a rhythm section
  19. i guess if you're looking for a shred-kinda guy you'll be disappointed, but jack white's a great player in the tradition of jimmy page. slightly sloppy, but he knows how to be heavy and write a great riff. moreover, he has AWESOME tone. check out the slide solo in "I want to be the boy..." and the high-string stuff in "Hello Operator." you can't buy tone like that.

and he's responsible for a minor slide revival, which is alright with me.
  20. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

This arguement and Matt's post strike me as weird. It seems to me that a lot of people here are bitter because they don't have a bass player? Are they any less of a band just because they're a drum/guitar duo? Admittedly, Meg White could use some lessons, but Jack White is a solid, if unspectacular, guitarist that did a pretty good job filling both the rhythmic and melodic parts of the band at least as well as most other bands in rock. Lightning Bolt are REALLY just a rhythm section and they serve most bands for breakfast. Even with a bassist, or keys, or an extra guitar, or horns, or a bagpipe, the White Stripes would still sound similar to how they do now. I don't think their sound would be improved much, it would probably be diminished.