1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why don't people read listings?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Gabe7539, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Gabe7539

Gabe7539

Jan 18, 2016
    Is it too much to ask that when someone posts a listing on the classifieds, you read it before contacting them? I have had repeated people contacting me about buying something, yet they ask me a question that's answered by the listing. And then when I tell them to read the listing, they keep asking me questions and never end up buying it, and then it's my problem that I didn't cater to their every demand. I paid money to be able to post that listing, yet nobody reads the listings. And people denigrate eBay, yet I've sold on eBay for years without problems because buyers read the listings.

If posting on the classifieds was free, I wouldn't really have a problem, but I make my listings really clear because I spend money to put them up, and yet people don't have the courtesy to read them. What is going on here?

murphy likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Some people are lazy.

3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Some people are idiots.

Killed_by_Death and murphy like this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Have you tried telling people that contact you to read your listing?

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have the opposite pet peeve: people not putting ANY info in their ads.

For example, I'm looking for a very specific brand and model of CRT TVs in my region. Apparently no one seems to post more than "offering old TV. Works." and a blurry picture. When asked what model theirs is, complete with instructions on where to find the paper sticker on the back with the model number on it (very hard to miss), all I get is "Dunno."

Well, in this case people aren't reading stuff either. Sometimes I get the feeling that it must be incredibly difficult to find a person that can both read and write. And yet TB works fine.

murphy likes this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Dumbing down of America in effect.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    LOL

bkbirge, jchrisk1, GregC and 3 others like this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest making a short video of your ad being read while the camera is focused on the item.

Also, using bulleted item descriptors is sometimes helpful.

oldrocker likes this.
  9. Could be worse.
    Once I took the day off from work to go to a job interview in Bangkok, which was a 4 hour drive at the time.

I get up at zero dark thirty to get to my interview on time & the first question they asked me completely disqualified me & the information was already clearly in my *CV.
    I was livid & asked them if they hadn't read my information at all. They just stared back at me, as if I was accusing them, but of course I was!~

*Curriculum Vitae

jchrisk1 and murphy like this.
  10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yup

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    This is where schooling comes in. In school you had to read a book and then write a report about the book. That seems like a useless exercise on its face, but what it really does is make you think about what you have read. It's called reading comprehension. If that is a skill you never developed, you may not have it.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Most people are lazy idiots.

murphy, JACink, bholder and 1 other person like this.
  13. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Dumb America is being exposed by the Interwebs. It's always been there.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    murphy likes this.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This seems unlikely.

murphy likes this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    TL;DR

Something about reading your listings? Dunno...

How much did it weigh?

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The flip side is the lister (sic) who doesn't want replies or questions in the thread so it doesn't clutter it up? Seems to me that's begging for answering the same questions over and over. Never understood that quirk.

murphy and GregC like this.
  17. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Do you guys not get recruiters hitting you up on Linkedin for jobs that would involve a 3-6hr round trip commute daily?

People don't read, go post something cool on CL and watch people negotiate/don't leave contact #, ask if something is available, etc when you clearly state terms.

In fact sanitize your profiles so key wording doesn't spit out all sorts of non-applicable marketing.

I'm going to enjoy how additional machine learning integration into iOS12 and Android P are going to make my online experience a muting/banning/unsub exercise.

murphy likes this.
  18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Idiocracy 2. Sadly, that seems to be the case - but, hey; at least we have electrolytes! :)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  19. I blame it on Geordi LaForge's program being canceled:

068007fcdf0c4adc7261c0663603cb4a.

Funky Ghost, murphy and Gorn like this.
  20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Not Linkedin, but former employers keep sending me texts offering me $50/hr for jobs with a three hours commute,... EACH WAY.