1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why Don't Rics Have Vintage Appeal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnyboonbots, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    It seems like 40 year old Rics go for about what they cost now -- often a little less. But a P? If they're old, they're gold.

Not sure why.

Could it actually have something with the way they age aesthetically? An old beat up P looks cool. I doubt Ric will be putting out a "Roadworn" series anytime soon. Between the poly finish and the space age design, they're just meant to look spankin' new.

That's just been my perspective. Am I off?

2. People who don't know anything about bass gear don't know what a Rickenbacker is, but the mob sure seems to know what a Fender bass is. I still don't believe that "vintage" instruments are "better" than modern ones. Sure, instruments sound and feel better with a bit of playing in, but I'm not paying through the nose to get "vintage" (read "rusted bridge saddles screws that can't be turned any more"), especially when even Fender are making small improvements to their designs over the years, even if they are doing so slowly.

I've seen "well-loved" Rics before and I can assure you that they still look killer.

3. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I agree that a beat-up old Rick doesn't fetch much cash, but a good or excellent condition Rick from the '60s and up to early '73 will enjoy a high premium. For some reason (call it the Jaco effect?), beat up Fenders have a certain panache, perhaps as being venerable, dues paid, etc. There's also the pre-CBS factor weighing in, too.

Rick basses from the 57-59 are extremely scarce, early '60s very rare, and mid- to late-'60s are rare. Production was low back then compared with Fender's (just as it is today). Prices for good Ricks seem to fall off from '73 onward when RIC made cosmetic changes that collectors deem less desirable.