Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why don't the good people at EBS...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Oct 29, 2005.

1. ...hire me as their new product developer? [:D]

I mean, now that I've figured out their new best seller success amp! Well, I didn't do it all alone, the talk started on a swedish forum a while back. The idea has grown in my head since...

There was discussion that EBS so clearly have their aim on the more hitech-oriented players, in both looks and specs. There was a demand for an amp aimed more at the rock- and popcrowd, easy handling and powerful sound.

Therefore I now proudly present to you;

EBS Balder - the working mans EBS!!! (working title)

A "simple" all tube head, in appearance similar to a Fender Bassman but in the nice EBS black/grey design (like the new NEO-cabs) with the brushed aluminum logo.

The amp is partially based on the preamp section of the new EBS tubepedal, Valvedrive, and in part the power amp section of the Fafner cut back to, say, 200W. All tubes all the way!

Front panel;

Samw type of chicken-headknobs as the EBS Fafner.

Controlls for Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble and Volume.

Adjustable volume boost, switchable from footswitch, w/level adjustment on the back panel.

No compressor, no extra drive section, no fuss!

The passive filters/tone controls are based on the Valvedrivepedal but even more well adapted for the power amp section.

Switch (metal?) for the vintage-character of the preamp (as with the Valvedrive).

Power- and Standbyswitches on the front.

Blue or Green light!

Two parallell input jacks in the Fender/Marshall-style, to honor the tradition.

Back panel;

Here things get a bit more up-to-date and modern.

Speaker outs, 2 tele, 2 speakon. Switch for impedans, 8-2ohm.

XLR DI-out w/ ground lift, pre/post eq-switch and off-switch for the power amp section (for recording use).

Slave-out (tele) for connecting to more powerful power amps.

Tuner-out.

Effects loop, w/ level control for dry/wet mix. Also level switch /pad for rack/pedal effects.

Footswitch out for controlling Boost on/off, Effectsloop on/off, Vintage mode on/off and Tuner mute.

Switchable Limiter-function to save the speakers.

Possibly a few DIP-switches to trim the power amp functions/sound, but with clear and easy-to-understand instructions and functions.

Adjustable between 115-230v to facilitate international export ad touring.

Protective grill for the tubes that allows for good airflow ( no need for a fan) but also good protection during transport.

The amp is very well matched with the EBS NEO 2x12-, 4x10-, 1x15-cabs. Matching looks and matching sound.

The price should also be in a place where it can compete with Ampeg V4BH, Orange AD200, Marshall VBA and so on.

Looks:

Imagine this;
    [​IMG]

...or this;

[​IMG]

Coupled with this;

[​IMG]

What do you think? Could it be "something"? Just remember where you heard it first :)

I'll be expecting production ex no 1 as my royalty...

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I think that would be neat, I've just always knows EBS heads and cabs to be a very clear and articulate type, not so much as all tube. But nevertheless quite intriguing.

3. That's the challenge then, isn't it?

Clear, powerful sound in a compact tube package. They've already built all tube amps (Fafner) and the new Valvedrive pedal seems very fit as a preamp, so...

I'm also very intrigued to see waht their design would look like. The NEO cabs are way above the Evolution cabs in design IMO, so this could be very nice. With the EBS logo centered on the front grill, in the same brushed aluminum as the NEO logos...mmmmmmmmmm.

4. I recently picked up one of their Microbass II preamps, which I have been dying to try out through the FX return on an all tube Head! The EBS sound is distincly in their SS preamps, , they only use valves for the drive section , or post the preamp section to add a bit of warmth... I don't think an all valve EBS would retain the classic EBS tone that you are looking for.

5. Sorry to disappoint you, but as a Fafner owner I can say with some certainty that it has only one tube and a MOSFET power section. I can certainly sound like a tube amp when it wants (it fooled you!).

6. Yes, I learned that about the Fafner. I am sure that I've read EBS marketing it as an alltube amp though...well well. No matter.

Maybe it's time for EBS to develop a tube power amp? Try to keep it low-weight and well functioning...

This one wasn't specifically MY requests but a colloection of ideas from another forum. But I "developed" it on my own...to much spare time I guess :D

Naturally you wouldn't be getting the same sound as the SS heads, but I was thinking now with the new ValveDrive pedal (all tube preamp, no IC) that they've taken a step towards the tube market. Maybe they're thinking about something like this already?

Oh, well....it was just for laughs anyway, so.....

7. I should have put a :) smily in there and I certainly agree that an all tube EBS amp would have a lot of potential.

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Ja ja men. They can't build a well functioning SS head so all tube...
    :) just kidding.

Maybe they were planning such an amp, but now they can't because you would want your share because its your design :p

It would be great idea however. In Trace V8 style...

9. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    I would be more interested in a tube preamp with built-in tube poweramp on a dummy-load... in pedalform.
    Something like the SWR IO or the Warwick Quadruplet... or why not only take the tube section from the Warwick ProTube series and turn it into a pedal, but just not 19" rackmounted...

I think it would be very nice if you could plug an all tube 'bassamp' between your bass and normal amp. If want that real meaty tubesound, just press the button... of course without damaging your main amp.

But maybe i'm just saying something stupid :smug:

TjD

10. HA HA HA!!! he said all tube and low-weight in the same sentence!!! :)

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There have been several versions of this idea on the market already, but they never caught on commercially. Not enough of the consumer base understood the idea, I think. There is this one currently available, but it's $650 USD.

12. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Thanks for the information Bongomania! :)
    But indeed it's not cheap :( Especialy not if it has to be shipped to Europe, I guess...