Why don't they have...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, May 30, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Why don't they have an all-commercial channel? If they did that, they could have all commercials all the time, and maybe they'd come up with more innovative commercials. Super-Bowl quality ads and stuff. More humorous, etc. Name it AdTV or something. Then they could cut down on the 18-20 minutes of commercials in your typical hour-long show...then if you missed the ads, you could flip over to that channel and get your dose, then go back to your show...
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The only channel with ratings lower than AdTV would be C-Span ;)
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Because commercials pay networks certain sums of money to be placed within the time slot of a particular show. The higher rated the show, the more expensive the commerical time. No one would pay to put their commercials on a station of just commercials, as no one would watch it. Likewise, networks need those commercials to pay for their shows. No money from commercials= no shows. That's why commercial-less PBS stations have those telethons like once a week- just to stay afloat (after government funding).
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    And with no commercials, we'd have no time to go to the bathroom or get snacks. Although, commercials do get really annoying if you don't need to do those things.

5. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I don't usually mind the commercials. What really annoys me is when they play the same commercial twice in one commercial break.
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Or when they play a spot for a "feminine product" during a sports show...always quiets down the revelry!
  7. who would pay money to put their commercial on a channel that nobody would watch?
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, and in between the commercials, they can put some shows in there, so that people would watch!

i think we're on to something... :D
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

I like your thinking. :D
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are in fact, cable channels that come close to all ads. There is a cable channel that is all infomercials. Also channels such as QVC, which are shopping channels and the jewelry channel are essentially nothing more than continuous advertisements.
  11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Remember, the shows are just commercials for the commercials.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Bop.

Nice to see you're still around.

Hm, I'm gonna throw that "all commercial TV idea" around a bit. I've seen programs where the advertising was more creative/funny/interesting than the program I was watching! :eyebrow:
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I have one of those "commercial cutter" things from the 70's.

Still works great. :D
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's called FM consolidated radio.
  15. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    What's this? How does it work? Sounds like genius to me.

How about a worldwide channel of just foreign ads. They are always hilarious, and then when you go to that country, you might recognise a brand or a logo, so you might buy something. Surely companies would pay for that. Who doesn't want to hear about a Sri Lankan mortgage broker firm?
  16. Have you ever seen adcritic.com?

It was cool, download all the cool ads- face it, there's an art to commercials- you've got 15-30 seconds to entirely get your point across in a memorable way.

Unfortunately now adcritic.com is a PAY site. I don't know if anyone thought this through- pay a monthly fee to watch commercials... To quote the KY commercial: "That'll work."
  17. You know that little slice of hell, the one residing in your subconscious...you know the one...the needle in yer brain that burrows deep, and plays and replays all the bad, relentless jingles and taglines that you proclaim to hate yet you secretly love, just behind your eyes? That is where this madness is coming from...

Like the not so beloved "Where's the Beef" from days past, or the current gem toilet tissue Charmin commercial where the animated bear is dragging a wad of tissue across its arse while smiling at the joy of its quilted goodness pampering its tender anus?

Well, that is all the work of the devil, sure it's effective, but you are possessed for wanting such a station! I demand an intervention excorsism! Tough love...it's the only way. Be gone demon!

18. Hey! That commercial got me to buy that stuff! Maybe it was just disturbing to find a little girl bear pooping in the woods in front of her daddy, and her daddy taking great interest in her wiping activities.

I love that toilet paper!
  19. Yeah, but it sure is disturbing... you see the roll on a tree branch, and papabear is settling down to business with a newspaper...

glad it wasn't complmented with soundeffects..

"Hey, sounds pretty nasty over there...how'bout a courtesy flush"???

It's like "Here little girl, the family crap tree, have at it...we're making quite a pile... oh, and here's the funnies...your Mom'll be by soon to cut coupons"
  20. If there were an all commercial channel then theyd probaly show nothing but Girls-gone-wild Ads, then my right hand would be way to sore to play bass :D :D :D