1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why don't they make affordable basses look nice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tylerrasnakev2, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    I know that there are some great looking basses out there. Unfortunately, they generally cost well over $500.00, which isn't within my current budget.

There are some beautiful, well-built guitars out there for as little as $300.00. Rondomusic's selection of basses were great, and still are, but I cannot get over the headstock.

I also know that looks aren't everything, but if I'm shelling out money for a nice instrument, I'd like it to be attractive, too. :(

2. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Depends on what you think looks nice.

I'd have no issue rocking a Squier VM or CV...those look pretty sweet and are pretty darn good for the price.

Then again, I like the standard body shapes...

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Old Japanese knock-offs can be plenty sexy for the dough, if you're into the retro/relic thing.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Stop listening with your eyes, buy used, and practice. Did I mention practice? ;)

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Big +1. The Squier CVs, especially, look really good to me. Almost took the fiesta red '60s P home the other day.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    You have to shop around. I bought a $499 Jazz(korean) from
    music 123. I agree with Carr, practice did you say practice? Sound is more important than looks , save your $ and by mid-summer many on-line sites will have their sales and you can get better value. :D

7. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    I said that looks aren't everything, or even that important really. All I'm saying is, if I'm shelling out $300-500.00 for a new instrument (new can imply used), I'd like it to look nice, too. ;)

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    New can imply used? No, it can't.

As for cheap basses looking good; well, I don't think that it's realistic to expect a cheap bass to match an expensive bass in looks and quality. Most makers focus on playability first, and I think that's the way it should be.

9. where did you see one Greg? I can't find one on the interwebz

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I guess it depends on your version of the incredibly subjective term "nice".

What looks "nice" to one person is "incredibly hideous" to another.

:D

That said, with all the Schecter, Fender, Ibanez, SX, Brice, Turser, Epiphone, etc basses out there under $500, I have trouble imagining that you wouldn't find a reasonable selection of "nice looking" instruments.
    :)

11. yeah - some squires are really nice looking. even some cheapo non-fender-esques at GC are eye catching . . .

12. The Gretsch 2202 Jr. Jet and the Epi EB-0 both look great to my eye - and both are under $300.

The Ibanez Artcores are in your price range.

And you can find very, very nice P and J models used in your price range.

In fact, you can buy a LOT of really nice basses used in that price range. Today there are more attractive, decent basses available under $500 than there have ever been.

13. tylerrasnakev2

tylerrasnakev2

Apr 16, 2010
    I think this is contrary to popular opinion, but I love the look and feel (and weight) of the Peavy T-40's. They sound great, too. I'm also a big fan of the look of the Gibson Rippers, although I've never played one.

I guess I just have a stupid idea of what "nice looking" is.

14. miacomet

miacomet

Dec 10, 2005
    North of Boston
    Longhorn!

15. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Traben comes cheap and looks great.

Peavey has some models under 300 that look awesome (I LOOOOOOVE Peavey headstocks)

ibanez, shecter, Fender, etc. etc. Look around.

16. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I went into my local GC Friday and they had just gotten one in. I haven't seen them in the online stores yet, either (including MF and GC's site), but I'm sure it won't be long. I've seen a couple other posts from TBers who tried or bought one. I was really impressed--great bang for the buck! I just can't justify adding another bass right now.:atoz:

17. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nah, people's tastes vary. Sounds like you should just get a T-40! They're still under $500, last I checked.

18. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Greg:

Where did you play one in Chitown?

Edit:

The GC on Halsted, or, a different one?

19. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    No basses under $500 look "nice?" I really don't know what the hell you're talking about and neither do the rest of us. These are all under $500:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Your premise is ridiculous. Not only do these basses look cool and cater to a wide range of tastes, they also play well and sound very good.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    what he said.