Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why don't they make amps with tuners in them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 5, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was reading through the "dream amp" thread, and it seemed like a lot of people were saying they would have a built-in tuner. My question is, why DON'T we see basses with built-in tuners? If there is some logistical reason for there not to be, cool, but it would seem to me that a row of LED's on the front panel and a circuit board or two on the inside wouldn't be THAT hard.

Considering how many people put in rack-mount tuners anyway, I don't think that many people would mind forking over a few extra bucks to have a tuner all the time.

So how 'bout it? Anyone know why no one makes a head with a tuner? And if there IS a company that makes such a head, please, enlighten me. :D

2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Euphonic Audio- IAMP

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why don't they make more basses with built in tuners? Why don't they make basses with built in amps?

Because they don't have to.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The ART Nightbass preamp has a built-in tuner.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The (older) Warwick amps have a built-in tuner IIRC.

But usually I want to use the tuner of MY choice.
    A tuner out like on Glockenklang amps is a nice idea, though.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I believe that Rogue used to (or still does) make an amp with a tuner in it. Not that I think much of Rogue though...

Personally, I'd just like to choose my tuner. For example, I use a Korg CA-20 - small little unit about the size of a credit card overall but about 1/2in. thick. Works wonderfully and is chromatic. Plus, I can use it for other things too (such as my trombone).

Tuner outs are cool though, especially because you can use them as a line out if needed.

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    There are several reasons. One main one is that tuners usually break much sooner than amps do. I certainly would not want a heavier and larger amp than I need, especially if its because it has a tuner I dont like or eventually, a broken tuner. Thats why they make rackmount systems. So you pick and choose what you want, when you want it.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, JMX's preference is the main reason.

Plus, many amp buyer's already have tuners (unless it's the "beginner/novice" market). They don't want to pay for what they already have.

Many amp manufacturer's recognize they are in an extremely competitive, cut-throat, market. The customer tends to be mercenary because they know that amp isn't going to stay with them for decades like a bass can. So, minimal investment in relation to quality is a big purchase factor. Lots of built-in effects and doodads don't impress many veterans if they jack the price.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Or two tuner outs, like on my Ampeg SVT-4 PRO, are even better! :p :p :p

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I think it would be a good idea. It would save carrying a little tuner around, would be easily visible wherever you were on stage (unless it's a huge stage) and if it had LEDs would work in the dark as well. It'd be cool.

Very cool.

11. my thoughts EXACTLY... if you want extras (effects, tuners) go out and buy extras and keep the price of the amp itself down.

12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    tuners aren't the most durable gear out there, and thats just one more thing to break on your amp i spose, plus the weight issue.

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, a number of amps had tuners built into them. Rather than digital readouts, though, they were simple pitch generators. Among them was the Acoustic 360, which a pitch of 'G' set. The first amp I ever owned (and still have one) was a Vox Essex that had the same feature. These were back in the time when musicians were expected to have a trained ear....did I really just say that? :eek:

14. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    The Peavey BAM has a built in tuner which will accomodate 4, 5 or six string basses in standard tuning or a half step down. It also has a chromatic mode and a mute function if you want it.

I think we will see more of this in the future. Any software based amp can easily incorporate a tuner, so I would guess that most any modeling or digital amps will probably include a tuner function.

15. Dammit, I want a toaster in my amp! If I had just had a bread box, I'd never have to leave my room :D

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Green Audio, the company that built my preamp and poweramp used to offer a head with a built-in car cigarette lighter.
    That's what I call a practical feature. :D
    They forgot to add an ash tray, though...

17. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Here you go! :p :D (also stated before)[​IMG]
    So it's not a bass amp, so what, you get the point...If I even have one???

18. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    one time in class i doodled dmy dream
    amp, it had an easy bake oven and a
    nuclear physo-numeric oscilating
    plutonium generator( to power the
    4 gigawatt amplifier). among other things
    but i dont think i had a tuner in it.
    the monkey that lived inside had a pitch
    pipe though.