Why don't they make commercials?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Amps, basses, guitars, drums, ANYTHING. No commercials for music ever. I don't understand why, they would sure sell a lot more stock. If a company had commercials for their new products, it would be instant gas for us. If there was commercials which included cheaper basses and guitars that were of decent quality, it would definately motivate people to start. I'm suprised the bigger companies like Yorkville haven't done this. What is the reason though?
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Maybe if musicians saw their favourite brand showed during the superbowl between Coca-Cola and some soapproduct it would have the opposite effect. The brand would become too mainstream and thus a lot of players would step away from it. I don't know if this is true, but if you look at metalbands who become commercial and the way the fans react to this, I guess the same thing could happen with musicinstruments.
    Part of being musician is (for me) being member of a group (the musicians ;) ) where non-musicians don't have acces to; the musical magazines, the reviews, etc..If you break into this world it could have a negative effect.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When I was in Texas in 1988 I saw a Yamaha ad with Billy Sheehan on MTV. Just him soloing. Probably 98% of the viewers had no clue what was advertised.

Instruments are special interest, and IMO it's useless to advertise on an expensive general interest medium such as TV. Special interest magazines are cheaper and more efficient.
  4. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Gibson runs commercials around Christmas and Father's Day.

Most of the on-air type of advertising is done by the retailers and is done on the radio because they are more likely to reach their target audience that way.
  5. They were hitting it hard on Father's day.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sadly +1 for me.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--that's the only one I ever remember seeing, too.
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I saw a fender ad once. It had a bunch of kids playing 'smoke on the water'. The kids had better gear then I do and they had to been 10 tops.
  9. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Wishbass should make some commercials

:ninja: :bag:
  10. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    what do you think endorsements are? Product placement. If joe blow sees his favorite band on mtv playing fender, he wants to play fender too.
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I recently saw some MTV coverage of a live performance by some band (I forgot which one, but a pretty big one) and all the time you saw Fender headstocks and Marshall logos flashing all over your screen.
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I remember that Fender ad.. Can't remember what they were playing though... something like ac/dc :p
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...as KPJ said, Gibson runs advertisements on TV. They've been doing so for several years now. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same, or very similar ad, each year.
  14. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Guitar Center has a lot of ads on the radio, but that's about it. Its more from local stores, then from the actual builder.
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Agreed, advertising would be kind of useless because most non-musicians would have no clue what was being advertised. I get TapeOP magazine, and I have no clue what some of the ads are for (Post-EQ phasing/Mic Pre-amp two in one with DAW adaptability, jigga wha?). I have this problem with some bass ads as well. Considering the cost of TV and radio advertising and the fact that the average person has no clue what the difference between a pre-amp, power amp, or a head and a cab, or even a guitar and a bass, it would probably just be a waste of money.

I see retail ads for local music stores, don't remember seeing any made by people like Fender or Gibson.
  16. yeah, they showed that ad here too.

I saw the Billy Sheehan Yamaha ad on his "On bass" instructional vid-
    lots of Spinal Tap-esque facial contortions at the camera as he tapped away, ending with, "NOW, let's turn it up" :D