1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why don't we re-use Bottles in the US anymore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Aug 15, 2007.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    After talking to my dad about the "old days" and talking about how they re-used glass bottles I got to wondering. Why don't we re-use glass bottles for milk, soda, juice, etc. anymore? If they got 7 uses and then were recycled that seems to me to be a lot more eco-friendly than just recycling after every use.

Thoughts, comments?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Start homebrewing. You'll get plenty of use (and re-use) out of bottles, especially Grolsch swingtops. Just make sure you completely sanitize them each time.

I'm enjoying a bottle right now. . .

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    what comes in glass bottles besides beer and snapple? I don't think I'd use either of those for my milk or juice. I have plastic pitchers and other containers that I use to make iced tea and lemonade in and whatever else.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

+1 Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew.

:cool:

And long live Charlie Papazian.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    its actually not safe to reuse PLASTIC bottles, i heard in school that theres acid covering the inside and the more u use it the more the acid wears off the inside and goes into what your drinking. And its linked to cancer.

6. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    They still do reuse the glass bottles in Mexico. Mmmmmmm Mexican Pepsi!!!!!!!!!

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Right on. Here's the man with another guy I'd love to trade places with - Michael Jackson
    [​IMG]

hbarcat, do you homebrew regularly? If so, have you ever been to the morebeer site?

Back to the actual topic, xgabriele is right, nothing really comes in glass containers anymore.

Even Gatorade has shifted to plastic, phallic shaped bottles.

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm aware of a couple of milk companies (like Strauss Creamery) that reuse glass bottles. This is a guess, so someone can correct me, but I'd assume it costs a company more to recycle glass bottles.

Marshall

9. I think it's probably less expensive to recycle than to re-use. Used bottles have to washed, sterilized, etc. New ones are cheaply made and ready to go. I dunno for sure, just guessing. :confused:

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yeah man, everyone is so germophobic now with their washing hands after peeing. I pee way too many times a day to bother washing my hands. Usually not into glass bottles tho.

11. like the US gov't really cares about recycling or doing whats best for anybody but themselves.

just had another idea. same thing kinda. plastic bottles are made from natrual oils. im pretty sure if u fill a typical bottled water bottle with oil about two inches from the bottom, thats how much oil it takes to make that bottle.

why would anybody want to reduce our dependency on forign oils? thats absurd. well, it is if you have connections to forign oil companies at least.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Not much use for bottles, but jars, butter containers, buckets after icecream, we use all the time.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Maybe not the national government, but many state governments have bottle return policies.

Where I go to school (in "enlightened" Chicago) an empty pop can is worthless, and I see them littered all over the place.

Where I live (backwards-ass Muskegon, Michigan) an empty pop can is worth $.10, and I have never seen a can littered on the streets.

The whole of the US isn't as goofed up as you think it is when it comes to environmental policies.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, I don't see why that isn't extended some more. I hear there are plenty of companies that WANT recyclable stuff but just can't get their hands on it. Seems pretty win/win/win/win to me.

15. Incorrect.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Wait, am I actually agreeing with you? First time for everything, I guess.

Those $.10 can and bottle returns is how kids made money growing up.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yup. Helps the homeless stay busy and save up some cash if they can, too.

18. yes it is. they are denying global warming. cmon. but thats a different issue altogether.

i know about the state bottle returns, im from NY where we have a 5 cent return. however the OP was not talking about recycling, he was talking about reUSING the glass bottles that were so common before. i totally think we should make more usage of bottles that have already been made instead of going through the process of recycling and producing new bottles.

and can anyone tell me why so many plastic bottles dont work for the 5 cent return (ie. iced tea, water, juice, all in 20 ounce bottles the same size and shape as soda bottles i might add)????

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    1) You don't know where the bottle's been, so they can't reuse them straight-up. They have to sanitize them.

2) You can't sanitize stuff with liquids and stuff. Might corode the bottle or make it toxic. You need heat.

3) Heat melts plastic.

20. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    I agree, really good point. Being 38 I remember back when I was a kid, getting money for bringing them back to the local store. Plastic doesn't break down when trashed......guess it's "cheaper" maybe.
    Whats really sad, there was a story here in GA about a recycleing company that wasn't doing it at all, they did a little, but most the time, when you took the time to put the recycled stuff in the correct bins, they would just take it to a landfill. Nice huh.....lol