Why don't you like Ibanez SR 5-Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by comalies, Dec 14, 2002.

1. The slim neck sucks!

15 vote(s)
  2. It sounds like hell!

29 vote(s)
  3. It's shape's even worse!

2 vote(s)
  4. 'cuz I got a better 5er!

34 vote(s)
  5. What the heck, I like it!

36 vote(s)
  1. Everytime I asked for opinions here, I was told that the Soundgear sucks! Now the poll!
    Why don't you like the SR?
  2. People get pretty heated about one thing and another - usually without too much real dealing with the facts. If you and I produce the best bass ever made we will still be hearing poeple talk about those that are more traditional, apparently play better, sound better, look better. Whatever we did just performance alone is not enough. This is called branding and we are all suckers for it. That's why we smoke Marboro, drink Coke, drink Glen Morangie, eat McDonalds, and drive Mercedes. Which are truly the stars in this list - your guess is a good as mine - the rest is marketing. The only products to really break though have differentiating facets to make them different to what we have bought before - Parker Fly, Steinberger, Active Pick-Ups, Special Woods and Materials etc etc. Ther's not much you can really do with guitars and Basses really - I think it's down to marketing.

So what's the bottom line on the SR - well who knows? If they get a good player that we all respect to play it, spend a shed-load on advertising, road-show it, get the pricing right, distibution right and the product quality where it should be - it will sell..............(maybe - no ceratins here)

Is it good? Dunno. Are there other basses that have more image and airtime that they should - for certain. If I knew the answers I'd work for the Importer and have a good time!
  3. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have an sr885. they're not as bad as people around here seem to make them. but now i also have 'ray5, and imho there's absolutely no comparison between the 2. my ibanez is just collecting dust...
  4. a buddy of mine just traded in his ray5 for an sr885, different strokes for different folks i guess.
  5. Becase it's cool to not like Ibanez.
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have two soundgears. A 5 string and a fretless. While not top of the line instruments, they are pretty good none the less and have had countless gigging and practice hours logged on them.

Why don't some people like them. I don't know, some have the attitude that if it isn't a Fender or a 2000 dollar custom bass, it isn't worth anything. Some people don't care for the necks. (which I absolutley love) Some don't care for the electronics (which I agree are the basses weak points), some don't like them because they are associated with Fieldy and Mallcore. (I couldn't care less who's playing what in mainstream music) And then there are a few cases where I think people compensate with their lack of ability/talent with gear (and you know there are people like that) so they believe top of the line instruments will somehow fill the void.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've tried a few in stores but could never like the ultra slim neck. My Q5 's neck is slender too but feels better to me, somehow more solid.
  8. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Following the crowd mostly I think. You hear people saying they hate something and sooner or later you'll hate it too whether you actually know what you're talking about or not. Like was posted earlier, "It's cool not to like Ibanez". There is probably more truth to that than was intended. I cut my teeth on a GSR200. Yes it was a piece of crap bass, but for 194.00 brand new that thing friggin rocked and held up just fine while I learned my way around the fretboard. Next I upgraded to an SR400. Far far from a pro-level bass but definitely a step up. It stayed in tune no matter what I did to it, sounded pretty doggone good through our PA system and never once let me or the band down. I have a Fender MIA P now which puts them both to shame as far as build quality, playability and tonal warmth, but as it is in cars, just because something is cheap and no frills, doesn't mean it won't get you back and forth to work every day just like someone else's Mercedes does. If you like what you've got, the heck with what other people think! Thump away.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I don't care for Soundgears. Its a combination of the neck and electronics that make me not like it. Having said that, I have a friend that plays a SR 6 string that sounds absolutely fabulous. Between his talent, and the SWR rig he runs through, he gets a killer tone.
  10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    IMO, it's not any of those reasons (although "I have a better bass" is close).

I like the shape of the SDGR, it's very comfortable and would take it over most other basses in the range.
    Its neck is okay. Spacing is an issue, but what cheap 5 string isn't? In fact, most warwick 5s have slim spacing.

The reasons that lead me to say that I don't like them:
    1) Weak B string (thin neck + 34" scale)
    2) Cheesy copy electronics
    3) Color choice (sometimes)

Those problems are all solved in other basses, but they can be solved in 3 upgrades:
    1) Med-Lt tapered String set (Ken Smith, Labella, etc)
    2) EMG (or whatever) electronics upgrade.
    3) Better Bridge

That's a good one, but a Schecter has it beat and would cost less, so...
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The skinny string spacing, which feels even skinnier than the skinny EBMM 'Ray 5 spacing.

The Modulus Q5 has slim (17mm) spacing at the bridge, but at least has standard 1-7/8" spacing at the nut.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Funky and Lojoe pretty much covered all the ground here. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 that I love a lot. The neck is actually slightly bigger than standard SR necks, but, by sheer coincidence, it's the best feeling 4 neck I've EVER played on. So I actually dropped in some EMGs and a Schaller bridge to make it go a few extra miles, and I'm completely happy with it in nearly all respects. I restrung it BEAD a year ago, and it actually has a damn good B string.

When the money rolls in, I'm going to have someone make me a 4 with the exact same neck specs.

I don't hate Ibanez, I hate their QC.
  13. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Soundgears are cool by me. It all comes down to individuals. What I hear is different from what you hear. If it works for you, go with it.

Above all else is the fact that if you can't play, it doesn't matter if your bass costs $200 or $2000. You still will sound like ****.
  14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I personnaly don't dislike Ibanez 5er's.

I just prefer my Stingray 5.

15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My first bass was older SR600, the MIJ ones. It was very nice and built like a tank, except that the pups weren't that good.

Perhaps I'll buy one in future and swap the pups.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah yeah, ibanez,,,, but see, jaco played a fender, so.......
  17. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    What a coincidence!
    those are the three upgrades I did!
    1) med light tapered strings (SIT)
    2) EMG PUPs and pre amp
    3) Better bridge added more sustain but did nothing for the color choice.
    It's still plain old red. ;)
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    "Everytime" being the one time, when you got exactly one person's opinion (Oysterman's) on them?

Hardly sounds like enough of a trend to start a whole thread about it.
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Strangely enough, I actually like the Soundgear 4's. I think they look pretty good, feel pretty good and are a good starter bass for the price. But their 5's felt bad. I didn't like them at all.

On the other hand I have resisted making the jump to 5-string for all these years because I could not find a 5 that I could comfortably play for both fingerstyle and slap.So basically I thought ALL 5's sucked, not just Ibanez.

I have played since the '70's and only last month found the first 5-string I could actually get around on. I think it is pretty funny that I was getting sick of everybody singing the praises of LaklandLaklandLaklandLakland yada yada yada yada.Then I finally got a chance to play a 55-94 last month.

Who knew? They really are that good!

So now I'm saving my Sacajawea's for a 55-02.
  20. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The only people Ive really seen say that Soundgears suck are people who dont know much about basses in general. The more experienced players and Im including those who have very high end gear, dont even say they suck.

What I dont like about the Soundgears is the overall tone of the bass. It sounds "thin" compared to many other basses out there. I also dont care for the narrow string spacing, and very loose feel to the B string.