1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why drive around traffic if you can go right through it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Oct 10, 2006.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Wow! A King Tiger! That's f'n cool!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

How about a regular tiger?

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    And here I thought the English fancied smaller more efficient vehicles......

3. We generally do. Altough it is fashionable to some (Far too many) to drive 4x4's. The vast majority who buy them only ever use them for shopping / dropping the kids of at school. - any every day activity, but NEVER off road. I don't think most are even safe to drive off road. One thing that pees me off a great deal, especially seeing how crucial the climate change issue is becoming.

Still, would be very cool to own a tank :cool:

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

It's fashionable to drive a truck in England? Here it means you're a hick.

5. Unfortunately it is, and people carriers - you see lots of young mothers driving either one, dropping the kids off at school. There's a lot of advertising for 4x4's at the moment. I thought Americans were a lot more keener on their 4x4's than people are here?
    The're quite heavily taxed here. imo owning one should require a license with a valid reason such as: i live on a farm or i live in a desert, maybe even something less extreme.

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    In the Detroit area, it means you're a male between the ages of 16 and 50 ;-)

I was out bicycling some years ago in a large (200+) group with the local cycle club when we passed around a shiny, sparkling-clean Range Rover, window down, going the other way slowly on a slow street. I was near the front of the peloton, and remarked, as we slowly threaded our way around the car, "that vehicle will never see dirt or mud..."

The driver heard me, as well as the laughter of every rider who repeated the remark as it was passed along the group ;-)

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Now, that's funny.

8. That'd never work in the States. It's a (semi) free country. Still, I'd like to see tiered licences, for large SUVs. You should have to prove greater skill, to drive a more cumbersome, and deadly machine.

In the State's a bussiness can get extra tax breaks for driving a Hummer; because, they are so heavey, they're treated like you bought a tractor, or crane, or something.

Further SUVs are allowed to make more smog, and noise, than other cars, and to have unsafe bumper hieghts. We also have "corporate average fuel economy" standards, which car companies must meet. But there's a loophole for SUVs, and mini vans (erm is that what you Brits call "people movers?")

9. Yeah, a bit like a minibus, but smaller and easier on the eye - actaully more like a big car. I don't know many of the legislative details at all though.
    I supose it's a lot easier for our government to propose and pass that kind of restriction. Then again i supose many things vary from state to state in the the US.

Has anyone read / heard about Stephen Hawkings coments about a need to colonise other planets to avoid distinction?
    Just read that on yahoo, pretty scary... :(

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Extinction?

11. Oops, yeah thats the one lol :rolleyes:

12. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yeah, sure it does :eyebrow:

13. I am quite amazed at the number of people who swear that owners of SUV's and 4x4's NEVER take them off road. To be quite frank: how the hell do you know what the random driver you pass and insult on the road does or does not do with the other 23 hours and 59 minutes of his/her day? Short answer? You don't.

But it feels good to assume that others who have made choices you wouldn't are completely irresponsible morons who waste their money and your fuel, doesn't it?

I'm amazed because every person that I know who owns an offroad vehicle actually takes it offroad. Then they wash it (hence solving the "Why Is That SUV Clean?" controversy).

Mike

edit: maybe this thread can stay away from the "I'm better than you because I use less gas/petrol" mentality that permeates most of the vehicle threads.

14. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    +1, btw :smug:

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    wow, and i thought americans liked their big vehicles.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ontario and Texas are very different places, stubi. I am neither calling Texans hicks, nor anyone who owns a 4x4 a hick -- just the people from Ontario who own 4x4s.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I also understand that offroading voids the warantee on many vehicles. So wouldn't it be natural to clean your new SUV/ 4X4 after taking it offroading in case you need to take it back to the dealership unexpectedly (if not for the sake of keeping it clean)?

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021