why effects should not be used on bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by XxBRDxX, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass is a fun instument in itself... I find that if you use effects you creating a sound with a box to manipulate what you cant really make sound that good in the first place... as an expierenced bassist... I find that if you want to be good... stick with no effects... you'll get better that way. :bassist:
  2. plumby1

Aug 21, 2004
    its personal prefference. that was a sweeping statemeant with no real evidence.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree, bass is a fun instrument in itself. However, I have even more fun with it because I can use effects to expand my tonal pallette.

Please enlighten me as to how I can make a 70's synth sound with only my bass? Or double up a latin bass line with a piano sound on my own?

You don't want to use effects, that's great. But please don't over generalise for everyone else's situation.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And please inform me as to how I can make my solid state amp sound like an overdriven SVT, without some kind of effect.
  5. yeah, you're right...if mark hoppus doesn't need effects, neither should we!
  6. I guess.. I kinda came across wrong... I what I mean is that, you should not use effects of your are unexpierenced... build up with a clean sound before you transfer everything to effects.... I still prefer not to use any effects at all... but that is my own personal preference... and should keep my opinions of how to play bass, to myself, but I will continue to make suggestions..
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass.:)

You are entitled to your opinion, just as all of our members are. But the reason that people reacted the way that they did was because you came into the Effects forum and posted that people shouldn't use Effects. As you can probably guess by reading the threads in this Forum, there are a lot of us who use Effects, either to get a specific sound, or as part of our overall sound.

I will say that effects are not necessary to play bass in a working band. But if you are trying to duplicate the sound of a specific player, or the sound of a certain amp, then effects can be a big help.
  8. I agree... effects aren't neccesary, but they can be useful to manipulate a sound... I should have stated that effects shouldnt be used by ppl who are unfirmiliar with how a bass sounds without effects, what I am trying to say, if you're a beginner on bass... then you should learn the sounds of a bass without effects on it before you jump into effects... that way when you do go into effects you will be more expierence... I dont know if I'm making sense... :eyebrow:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

...uhhh, you list Tom Araya of Slayer as an influence? Influence for WHAT!?!...

10. an influence as a musician...and he is a good bassist...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmmm, VERY interesting...LOL!...

12. thats better :D ...
    I understand now, you are saying don't spend your practice time with effects if you haven't learned how to play well yet...
    similar to Tom Morello (i know, guitar...but he is the best example i can think of). he can come up with the wildest effects, but the guy can play. listen to a "non-effected" solo like "know your enemy" and he can play notes as well!

I still like my effects though!

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Inane. -sorry man, but anyone who wants to use effects should use what the hell ever they feel like.
  14. backpedal-backpedal-backpedal... :meh:

I use effects to cover up my suck. When I'm having a particularly sucktastic session, I'll turn all my pedals on, hit a 20-tap delay on my processor, and there'll be 20 sucktards following me around my suckhole of a suckbucket.

You need :help: , and to spend some time considering how you absolutely crushed my hopes, dreams, and fragile ego with that obtuse generalization.

...just kidding...lighten up Francis.
  15. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Obviously you've never heard a bass solo.
  16. plumby1

Aug 21, 2004

you dont NEED effects to play a solo.
  17. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Effects should be used by whoever the hell wants to use them, a first time player to advanced...
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some people prefer to stay away from effects because they can't use them properly.
    I respect that.
  19. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    While I respect your opinion, most of us here on this forum use effects. My theory is...HAVE FUN! Why should the guitar players have all the fun. I run intermittently, depending on how I feel, about 6 different effects. Its much easier on Mustang Sally, for example to click on the Bassballs and be instantly funkified, rather than turn around to my Sansamp and try to dial in a funk setting. It's just a great way to have some fun and, if nothing else like I do, break up the guys in the band in the middle of a song with some odd freaskish sound from my Deep Impact!
  20. The use of effects to dial in ones tonal pallette was mentioned here, and indeed one can use effects to sound like someone else...I use them to sound like no-one else as Im always in search of my own "signature sound"....but I 100% agree that every bassist should use whatever makes Him/Her happy and the reasons are all relative. If you choose NOT to use effects then thats fabulous as well. Its not far removed from the great "pick" debate, you know, to pick or not to pick, or "4 string or 5...(or 6 or 10, lol!). If we all played the same gear, the same songs, the same technique, the same effects (or lack thereof) we would be clones of one another. Correct me if Im mistaken, but those who have really excelled in musicianship are those who strove to be different, pioneers in their own right. Effects give us yet one more tool to use in order to achieve our visions.
    Just my opinion, again it's all relative, and one of the things I love about making music is there really is no right or wrong as long as the end result is pleasant to the ears. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.