Why exactly do people like the summer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I am absoutly sick of this heat. Everyday is like 85-95 hot, sunny, and humid. And I have a job where I have to work outside. T

I don't understand why people like the summer so much. What is so great about being uncomfortable all day at work, not being able to sleep at night because it's too hot, then going into work with little sleep just to be sticky and uncomfortable all day?

Why do people badmouth fall and winter? That's perfect weather. It gets dark out early, nice grey skys, little or no annoying sunshine to deal with. If you get cold then you can just put on a better coat and you are fine.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So...what don't you complain about?
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Could be leftovers from childhood and "yay no school"

How about swimming... thats fun... then again i am from place where summer is all year around:) i win...
  4. Enjoy the variety, man. There are plenty of places where the weather barely changes, and many of them *gasp* are hot all year 'round! Oh, the humanity!

Or you could aspire to move north.
  5. In most places on the earth, the temperature drops to a much less acceptable temperature in the winter than the temperature high it rises to in the summer. Sure it's hot in the summer, but it's not so hot as to cause the problems you get from cold in the winter.
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh man... i love idea of me being teacher... now i am kind of glad i am going that way... 3 months off in a year... i so freaken win... i take lower paycheck with having summer off anyday:)

Its not as good as my other idea of being santa though... yeah you get 11 months of and only 1 month of not doing anything but working elfs the slaves to death with a whip... and well one night of flying around and dropping crap on people... but there is whole thing with having little kids pee on my... i am just not down for that...
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This question would be better framed "why exactly do people live on the east coast?" *ziiiiing*
  8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    The last four months of the year are definitely the best.
  9. After a while, you get used to it being hot all the time. Humans are pretty adaptable creatures. I prefer summer because I can get out and ride my bike. While I can do this in the spring and fall, I enjoy it more when its warm out.
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Summer is my least favorite season.

If you're cold, you can always put on more layers.

If you're hot, you can only take off so much before The Man intervenes.
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

No SNOW!!!!
    No windchill factor!!!
    No ice!
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    95 tops? quit crying.

107 all last week.
  13. It was around 96 degrees today here. You might not think that's bad from the numbers, but if you've ever been in the Washington area, you'll discover that we invented humidity. Through my internship, I've met many people who flew into the city from all different parts of the country to do this, including some hot places such as California, Arizona, Texas etc. They think that it's hell here in the summer.
  14. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I hate summer.
    Lousy Smarch weather.

You're a Budweiser "Real Men of Genius" commercial in the making.
    I salute you sir. :cool:
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    While not to belittle your humidity, here in cali the humidity has been far greater than usual, even for summer time. All last week was not only in the 100s, but the humidity was heavy too(maybe not as heavy as the east coast or south, but still miserably heavy)

That said, I love being baked in the sun, I would much prefer being scorching hot in the sun than freezing cold in the snow. But that's just me.
  16. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    And then God created the A/C (and the electricity bill)
    http://www.[malware url removed].com/smilies/sad/sad0015.gif

Summer is great without the humidity... some places where the humidity is low you can actually go out and enjoy the heat.
    Pool , nice girls in a bikini, get some tan, play outdoor games without being afraid to be caught by a massive rain.

17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    TAKE THAT!!! ...all the way to the bank

[voice=brain griffin]NIIIIICE[/VOICE]

Cal rules you all... oh and if you are hot... water/cold water/ice cream/milk shakes/cold drinks/pool/ac/water park all the nice things that i love... especially cold beer and icecream... people who dont like summer are crazy... try going to water park and drink cold beer and icecream in winter... HA drunk in water park eating icecream and alcohol rules!
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I hear you Bad Brains, I'm kind of a "cold weather guy" myself.

I was born out here in Hollywood (LA), but spent a lot of my childhood in Switzerland.

I enjoy skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing, all that stuff.

When it gets hot, I tend to go to the beach (whenever possible), and cool off.

My g/f and I, have the air conditioner on almost all the time. Definitely in the car too, the worst thing in the world is having to deal with car-sweat.

Let's see, I have a few good friends from places like N'awlyns, who swear by the humidity and the cleanliness of pores and so on.

I must admit, I don't "get" that perspective. I don't like jumping out of the shower, only to be sweating like a pig ten minutes later.

But, to each his (or her) own I suppose.....

Interestingly enough, most of the women I know prefer the hot weather.

I'm not sure why that is exactly, but to me a "hibernation period" during the winter seems like a very pleasant (and fulfilling) thing. :D