1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why exactly have I ignored Fender for so long?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, May 9, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Mmhmm... I've been playing 2 years now and I only played my first MIA Fender the other day after spotting an unusual bargain in a local music shop.

I just can't contain my joy... It was literally the perfect bass. Beautiful looks, beautiful sound and feel, and not a bad price at all. I've spent the last few days in school constantly drawing pictures of this baby, and with any luck I'll be negotiating a trade with the shop owner on Friday (Hopefully my Traben, hardcase, £150 and a fuzz pedal)

What I want to know though is why I've ignored Fender for so long. I've looked at just about every other major manufacturer, but in my mind I saw Fender as a no-go. Does anyone else find this? That they would never consider a Fender until they actually played one?

2. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    That was exact reaction, because since Fender seemed so popular, and very widespread, i din't like that since I like to stay out of the mainstream...but when i played that deluxe 24 jazz bass, I was hooked, and spent all my hard earned cash on it, and the price was pretty reasonable, and it's a kicka$$ bass, all it really needs is a badass II bridge, and i'm set for life.

3. Hells yes.

My first ever bass was a Squier P-bass special, and after playing a £3000 Warwick (can't remember the model), I realised that my bass was a POS. I formed a negative opinion of Fender from that, when in reality my Squier is so far away from my new MIA Deluxe Jazz I can't even tell they're made by the same company. I just got back from a gig, and we kinda sucked but the bass sounded badass all night. This thing is almost perfect for me, it finally feels like I've got the only bass I might ever need.

So now I'm gassing for a fretless. When does it end?!?!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I started off pretty close to Anti-Fender, but frankly ended up loving it if you can't tell by my signature. I first played a '77 Precision that played itself, but was sold before I could get the money together, so I traded a bunch of gear for a '78 Precision isntead, and played that until the weight killed me. Somewhere in there I owned two MIM's, a Precision and a Jazz, and frankly, I caught a great deal on my Marcus Miller which I now love. It's my #1.

5. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    biggest lie you'll ever utter. :smug:

6. I just had a similar experience last Friday. I walked into a local used instrument store in Maryland (Atomic Music) and found a Victor Bailey Jazz Bass. I bought it immediately. It's one of the best sounding and playing basses I've ever played..and I have played a bunch of therm.

7. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I think a lot of people like to root for what is perceived to be the underdog or try to find flaws where there really are none, kind of like someone saying Michael Jordan isn't probably the best player of all time. I don't see how so many people say they dislike Fender when they have never played one. It seems like I went all the way around the bass band world to come right back to Fender and I just have yet to find a better bass for me. I play a Stingray and as far as I'm concerned it's a Fender too!!!!!

8. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    just look at 3/4 of the basses in the hands of pros playing live and in the studios. i gurantee that a word on the headstock starts with an F and ends with an "ender".

9. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Me too ...... owned and played many different brands over the years. Then I picked up a standard Jazz in a music store and was stunned how well it fit me and how good it felt to play. Now have an Aerodyne and an MIM Jazz as backup, and that's it. While I am on a GAS hiatus now (yeah .... right), the current thinking is that maybe a P would be nice to have .....

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Let me tell my story once again...

I began playing in 1969. The choices back then were pretty much Fender and everything else. Problem was that as a wee lad, I couldn't afford the "Holy Grail" Fender. So, I played most everything else. Good enough I guess.

Fast forward several years. I heard nothing but horror stories from players much more "advanced" than me about how Fender's QC had went into the dumper. They were, in essence, a has-been company according to these more "knowledgeable" players. So, having much respect for these guys, I stuck to playing mainly Japanese Basses such as Aria and Daion (Great basses, I might add) and Rickenbackers (again, great bass!)

Well sir, one day about 5 or so years ago, I finally played a Fender MIA Deluxe. It was love at first note!! I don't know about their QC issues in the past, but I have been more than happy with the Fenders I have bought since then. They serve me well. *check the sig below*

My only regret over the years is that I wasted a lot of years being biased....my bad!

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i was pro-Fender, then anti-Fender, then pro-Fender, and now neutral-Fender.

12. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Actually this is one of the things that really annoys me about the music industry. There is a definite pro-fender bias in a lot of studios and such, as if players aren't allowed or trusted to make their own choices about which instrument to play. I think it's limiting and close-minded.

13. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Probably, but i tend to exagerate often:D

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Leo Fender got it right the first (the Precision Bass) and the second time (Jazz Bass).

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I started playing guitar, and I was pretty much anti-fender. My favorite instruments now are fenderr or squier copies.

16. Fender's are hit-or-miss at best for me. Some of them have a tone to literally die for. Others... are just constructed poorly. I've recently found a KILLER highway-1 bass with excellent tone and decent construction that totally blew away all of the other American made Fender's in my local shop. You gotta dig deep to find a gem.

17. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I always hated the jazz bass body design, and I just hated everything about the looks. Now some of my favorite basses are jazz basses. I can't really think of too many basses that I reall dislike anymore.

18. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    +1

When you get a good one, KEEP IT!

19. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    time is money and in the studio you can multiply that x10. the reason why fenders are preferred by 99% of producers, engineers, players, or people paying the bill is you can dial in a great tone on a p or a j in seconds and be ready to track. all i use are are fenders nowadays and i'll be the first to admit that a precision or jazz bass by itself sounds mundane, but put it in the mix and not only does it come alive, but it makes every other track come alive as well. why? i have no idea except that leo got it right. boutique basses; yea they are better built, have better attention to detail, but you don't hear that on a recording. they often don't sit in the mix well. players are sometimes not allowed to make their own choices because they are not paying the bill. that is why most pro studio players own a p and a j. they are just simple instruments with simple electronics that are low maintenence with massive return on investment as far as working in the studio goes. the producer may not know a 6000.00 f bass from a fly swatter. but they know the sound of a p or j will work in any setting quickly. you just can't get away from fender. i sure don't want to. peace, jeff

20. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    +1 Or a P/J!