Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why expensive hollowbody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jure the second, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Here's my thinking.
    I own a couple of basses. They cover 98% of music I do with ease. Now I started GASing for a semi hollowbody. Having many options, here's the question: why spending 600$ or more for a Casady or even more for a Lakland? I do not need versality, just that vibe!
    Will a cheaper one satisfy my needs?

Thanks

Jure

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Only you can answer that question. Play what you like. If an old Univox has the sound you like then you don't need anything else.

Other than that the only thing a more expensive instrument might get you is better build quality.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Google Waterstone guitars. They have some cool hollowbodies at a good price.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If your looking for sort of an amplified acoustic Bass sound, I'd recommend trying an Oscar Schmidt Delta King. I got mine off Ebay for less than $300.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out the Ibanez Artcore. Impressive build quality for under 400.

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I love my Turser Beatle. The vibe sync'd with mine; can't put it down now:)

Oh and the Roto flats just made it better.

7. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    The Italia Mondial!!!, if you like the style - piezo plus neck humbucker, the sounds... oh yes. Nice deals currently on these as well, around 499 USD..

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Get the Lakland.
    Twice the money,but ten times the bass.
    Best Hollowbody for the buck!!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Casady or the Lakland are both great hollowbody basses.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ibanez Artcore, cost me $400
    [​IMG]

11. I currently have a DiPinto Belvedere Std... I love it. Awesome bass.

I am also starting to look for another gigging bass. I am looking at the Ibanez ASB140, but am afraid I will want to gut it too soon.. and am also looking at the Lakland Hollowbody. Big price gaps, but big differences in the two...

My DiPinto was $300 used. Can't beat it for that price.

12. Aren't all the TBC (The Bass Company) basses hollow on the inside? Not sure if you'll get the vibe, but for around $300 it's a good value. A bunch of people around here will probably be getting one, so I'm sure we'll hear about them soon.

13. After more than a year I acomplished my goal in finding a nice semi-hollowbody.
    I tried the artcore, some true hollowbodies, I was even fortunate enough to get my hands on Epiphone Allen Woody Signature (but it was sold already :crying: ).
    One day I went to the local music store and saw a "strange" bass in the corner. A black washburn ab40. It's hollow, but not with circular hole in the body, but with stripes instead. I was sceptical about it, unitil I tried it. That was IT. It growls, it's loud, plays beautifully and the preamp makes it just right.
    At that time I couldn't afford it, but with time I managed to save enough (with help from my parents ;) ) to get it for my 25th birthday. I beleive that day will be remembered.

I thank everyone of you for your suggestions. So many recommendations made me beleive, that the choice is up to me really. The final "dot on i" were my bass-fella words about his semi-hollow: "it looks like ****, but it plays great!"

Jure

14. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i have the casady on order...i tried the artcore but its basically a through solid body with chambers on the side ..so it didnt sound and play much different from a solid body..so whats the point apart from its looks?

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'm in full agreement with that, just picked one up and it's smoke'n. Use gets watts use pay fer.

16. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Which Artcore did you try?
    The agb140 or the asb140?
    Just wondering.

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1 on the Lakland, IMHO none of the other basses mentioned so far come close.

George

18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jure -

I have the fretless "cousin" to your AB-40. Mine is an AB-20 and it's a very nice bass. It is NOT for "sitting around the campfire" (that is a nice fantasy but ABG's can't pull it off well) but it is excellent for sitting on the sofa plucking around.

Through an amp, it has a very nice woody tone and you're right, the onboard preamp makes it work "just right." One of these days, I'm going to do a "coffehouse" gig and with my little 15-watt Crate practice amp, it should be perfect.

In the meantime, it's a nice "fill in the blanks" kinda bass. I like having it around!

19. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    the agb140 was the one i tried.