1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Fender '62?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wal Pawlik, Sep 18, 2008.

1. We see so much of "Fender '62 basses", implying some special attribute.
    Why or what is this?
    What is the significance of the Fender '62?

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Back in the mid-80s Fender came out with 1957 and 1962 "reissues". Those were the main two years they concentrated on at first (those, and the '52 Telecaster). They were close, but not exact copies of the instruments made during those years. Everyone says they are nice - I've never played one.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Early 80s (1982 being the first year) Fender made reissues of several of their instruments and what were considered landmark or representative years.

P-basses came in 57 and 62 styles. 57 for it being the first year of what we consider Precision basses today. I'm not sure of the significance of the year 62 in P-Bass lore but several famous players played 62 Fender Precisions. I'm guessing its partially because Fender felt 62 represented the rosewood necked CBS P-Basses best, and also because it gave bassists the choice of maple or rosewood necked instruments.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I think they were all Rosewood boards in 1962, guitars, basses, everything, and a maple board would have been a special order, if they would have even built you one with a maple board, that is. I could be wrong.

5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Wasn't '62 the first year of the split coil pickup?

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I think that was '57.

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    '57 I think. Joey beat me to it.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    No, definitely '57/

The original, slab-bodied single coil P-basses ran from '51 to '54.

From '54-'56 they had the same pickup but got a contoured body.

In '57, they started the split-coil.

'62 was the Year of the Rosewood Fingerboard.

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Wasn't '62 also the year before the CBS buyout? Most people regard the pre-CBS instruments to be superior to ones made during the CBS years, meaning a '62 reissue can hearken back to those supposed "superior" instruments.

10. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    The Mike Dirnt P-bass comes with a '59 split coil P-bass pickup.

The 50's era Fender guitars and basses tend to sport Maple fretboards, while the 60's era guitars and basses tend to have rosewood boards. Just my observation.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    62 was 3 years before the buyout. The years chosen represent the first year those models were available. The Precision with the split coil and countoured body was first released in 57, and the Jazz with 3 knobs was first released in 62.

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Yeah. Brain fart. Duh. Somehow the rosewood discussion went right past me. :meh:

The Fender pickups I have are "original '62". Not sure why that's significant, but it's probably why I was thinking that.

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Well damn. Shows how much I know of Fender history.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Where were you in '62?

:D

'57 was a great year, BTW. The first split coil on the P-Bass, and also the year I was born! Then, don't forget the '57 Chevy! Ah, those were the days! :)

15. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    *reports McHaven to mods*

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Musical instrument history is fun. You should hear my lecture about how the sackbut evolved into the trombone ;)

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Agreed on almost all counts. They started using rosewood boards in '58 or '59. I was going to say '62 was the first year with tort guards, but I don't think that's true, either.

18. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    If I'm not mistaken....62 was the first year of the production of Jazz Basses in which they called it the deluxe bass. Now I could be wrong.....but i think this is correct. Why does every one own or want a 62 or even a 64 for that matter?? Because they are considered to be the standard of basses in general. Everything is measured up to those two particular basses. True, they are many many many good basses that will blow them away nowadays....but they had to get the inspiration from somewhere. Heck I want a 62 or 64 myself.....even if it is a reissue...as long as it is an American made or a Custom Shop. Japanese models are good....but they do have some flaws though.

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Not even a twinkle in my father's eye. Maybe in my Grandfather's :D

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The AV years were choosen in part because no major bad events are associated with those years -- e.g., 1963 was the Kennedy assassination.