1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Fender Jazz Bass is so appreciated?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maturanesa, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Not trying to bash Fender Jazz Bass or trolling. I actually like a lot the instrument.
    Just curious about that "mojo" they have and
    the "unique tone" conception.

We all know that any high quality bass with the same pup
    config can deliver that defined and punchy tone.
    So, why that religious conception about Fender jazz bass?

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Its the original, the other basses with similar configs came after.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I honestly don't understand the question

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    They are the original. All the classic sounds on the classic songs we all love are usually fender basses so we try to emulate our heroes.

Most of the people on here grew up listening to Fenders, so now thats the 'sound' they want (with some variations, but that can all be done with heads, cabs, pedals).

If you were born after 1990 and dont listen to music from before 1990 is harder to understand lol New music isn't all Fender so its easy not to have a favourite if your young.

5. The Jazz and Precision basses were the most available electric basses back in the early days of rock, rhythm and blues, funk, jazz etc. That's why they were played on the classic albums by the greats, and associated with those great tones. Bassists back then weren't spoiled for choice like we are now. Plus they are great sounding and we'll designed.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Many of the modern versions (while having great components) have active pickups and/or preamps. So there are some that sound very similar but not as many as you think. Plus, where Fender bases shine is in a mix. To me they don't sound nearly as good as many other bases by themselves. But in a mix few compare.

All that being said I will always say that most basses will get close enough for rock n roll when you throw in drums, keys, vocals and two screaming guitars. So play what you want. To neck with what anyone else thinks about your choices.

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    IMHO

Take 'Fender Jazz Bass' out of the equation.
    For arguments sake lets just say 'Jazz Bass'.

Bottom line is they sound great in multiple situations. For a J vs P neck argument (to bring it back to some general standards) a J neck is easier to play for most.

I thank Leo Fender for what He has done, but I'll like to thank all the others who improved upon it. Again IMHO

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    For me it is about the shape and the look. The jazz bass and jazz bass copies are comfortable. I can play my LEJ 5 string or my modulus VJ and not have to worry about watching my hands while reading a chart. They look the part on stage. They are not too out of the box with crazy points or exotic woods (most of the time) nor are they plain (especially when you put the covers on). There are many flavours of jazz bass with makes and models to satisfy the purists and the technophiles alike. You want active noise canceling? You can get that! You want traditional? Well you can have that too! You want a coffee table 6 string jazz bass? Someone will gladly make that for you. But the shape will always be that wonderful ofset waist contour body and the upperhorn will reach the 12th fret. Strapping on your steve bailey 6 string fender jazz bass will feel different from your '62 reissue 4 banger, but not by much. They are a swiss army knife. They are truly venerable.

9. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.

This man speaks the truth

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    They're just cool! no matter what brand you have to me the "Jazz" is the sound I love the most.

11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Besides the obvious...shape, look and sounds...a great part of it for me was growing up in the 60's, hearing live bands for the first time and seeing Fender basses pretty much everywhere. You have to understand that I was born in 1953 and when I first started seeing bands in the mid to late 60's rock shows were for the most part very primative and very in your face. No prop's, no mega light shows, only the music, the bands pouring it out and your imagination. Seeing it all so stripped down made a HUGE impact on me and a great part of that visul impact had to do with seeing what amps, what guitars and what basses were being used. And I'm not just talking about seeing national acts, but seeing local kids to regional, semi successful acts all the way to national acts. And seeing Fender basses on all of those levels and hearing how great they sounded in so many situations, well, it's not to hard to figure out the rest.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I was born in 1956, so seeing live bands and their equipment was a big deal for me, too. But the equipment I saw was big ol' Standel bass amps, Vox guitar amps, and Sure Vocal Master PA columns. YUUUCK!

As for the basses, yes, Fenders were around... a lot... but by the time I was a playing teen, EVERY older (wiser?) musician I knew was bitching about the quality of the new Fenders, singing the praises of the older ones, and looking for something... anything... else to fill the void. Boutiques were just getting started, and I saw my first Alembic (in person) about 1975.

So it's not like I always wanted a Fender, it took me years to grow up and really appreciate the simple genius of them.

13. One word..."PERFECTION" IMHO

14. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Image. Looks "cool". Can do some interesting growling. Its older brother, however, is responsible for the majority of the recorded bass sounds heard through the 60's, 70's and beyond.

15. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    USA,Quality,Appearance,Tones,Feel.Originality,Choices,Colors,Reputation,Value,Future Value,History etc.....

16. I don't know about religion - aren't you referring to a P bass with flats and a tort guard when discussing religion? - but a proven design is a proven design. Both the P bass and the J bass are long-proven designs.

But there are other proven designs as well: Rickenbackers, short-scale semi-hollow with mudbuckers, the solid-body Gibson paradigm, and the Spector/NS-2/Warwick Stage I P/J with active electronics configuration, both with normal orientation and reverse orientation on the P pup. For instance, the Fodera Ying-Yang uses this last configuration.

But the P and the J came first, and many, if not most, great recordings in rock, soul, funk, reggae, and world music were done with one of those two basses, so they both provide a very familiar sound.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Why ask 'why'? Just play one and if you like it then join the club.

18. headband

headband Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    I too grew up listening to R&B bands in the 60's. I got my first jazz bass in 1969 which I still have to this day. I still remember the music store where we bought it - there were 4 electric basses in the store. One Hagstrom, One Gibson EB-3, One Fender Precision and One Fender Jazz. The salesman said, " we don't sell many Gibsons or Hagstroms, you really want one of the Fenders". He was pushing me towards the Precision as "they are the standard" (in those days) but I chose the Jazz as it felt better holding it, and was easier to play with my small hands. And what a great bass she still is! Plays blues like nobody's business, can slap if you want it (although a later 70's would be a little better IMO) and can nail the Jaco tone too. So yeah - it WAS the bass back then - there weren't a lot of options. Maybe there were on the east or west coasts, but in middle america, this was it (with P bass). And all through the years, this has been my go to. Sounds great, records great, is a pleasure to play. Do I have other basses? Sure, and I have tried many, and there are many that sound great with outstanding fit and finish. If you want that, get it and you should be happy. My Fender has just never let me down, and to this day I get compliments on my bass tone and clarity. That works for me.

19. String plucker

String plucker

Oct 15, 2013
    It's a part of history. And yes u can any tone u want to out it. It just feels good to hold a fender

20. String plucker

String plucker

Oct 15, 2013
    I will say that an american made fender is where it's at. The ones made elsewhere r nice but it's just NOT the same.