1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHY FENDER ?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    YOU MEAN TO SAY YOU DON'T LIKE FENDER???!!!
    image.

2. Rebopmass

Rebopmass Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Went to a store sunday played 4 or 5 american fenders. Rhen plugged in my spector rebop. Went home with Rebop.. lol and traded it for another Spector i liked even better. Fenders werent anywhere near as deep or powerful. Even the guys in the store agreed. And my Rebop is bone stock. We all have opinions just giving a taste test. I wanted to like tem.but it wasnt close. Even my severely modded MM Subray 4 blows them out of the water. But in fairness it does have about 350 dollars in upgrades. Best thing is i didnt pay for them. Got bass mega cheap due to a loose wire.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Trolls will troll

:rollno:

Wisebass and Mr_O'B like this.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Fixed again

dabbler, Booty Shaman, TMARK and 2 others like this.
  5. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    this
    jamerson.

dabbler, Booty Shaman, diegom and 6 others like this.
  6. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    You're right, it just rolls of the tongue. Hey baby, I play a Feennnddderrr! Pedullah and Alembic sounds like a different religion. Sadowski sounds communist. Rick sounds small. Say Gibson and you're confused with a guitar player. Music Man sounds like a opera. Sire is Squier. Ibanez says what?

Besides, you strap that Fender on you look cool. You look cool you sound cool. Sound cool, look cool chicks might take notice. Might. Might not.

To any owners of the above please take this post as over the top TB snark, in good fun.

Yakamoga, Eikari, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I was always a staunch Fender guy for bass, guitars and amps. Now I don't own Fender anything. Have a 5 string Ibanez I love more than any Fender I've owned and I'll be damned if the SX P and J I own don't sound nearly identical to the Fenders I had, and for a quarter of the price. I use Ampeg amps now. I will however probably pick up another Strat at some point. Best guitar ever made IMO.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I don't hate Fender, but after 10 years if playing a '60s P, I wanted something better.

Fortunately for me, there are lots of better choices.

Ninevolt and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  9. My first nice bass was a Fender Jazz MIM. Before it, I'd had a couple of iffy basses, but I chose the Jazz when I finally had money, because the first time I played the bass and really clicked with it when I was in high school was on a Fender Jazz. Also, I knew that John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin had played one and I was a Zep fan, so a Jazz it was. It was a Fender, I liked music played with Fenders and it was just the best place to start. I've owned and played a zillion since then, including various Gibson/Epiphone products, Yamaha, Rickenbacker, Warwick, Schecter and more, but I've actually kept a Jazz in my collection ever since then and they've never let me down in sound or in play. I really don't know why I wouldn't play a Fender. If I only had my Fender Jazz, I'd be just fine.

Novarocker, Eikari and Tari like this.
  10. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    FMIC, Fodera, A Designs Audio, Dunlop, T-Rex, Pearlman Mics, Fishman
    I'll take that crappy '60s P off of your hands. :p

11. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    My Precision sits in the mix sooooooo good

12. laslen

laslen

Nov 25, 2016
    New Hampshire
    As a former guitarist, hearing someone praise an instrument for blending in more seemed like a strange concept at first.

"Man, I love feeling like I'm not even there. I'm like the little caboose of the frequency train."

I guess I don't understand popular music.

13. Bah... somebody else would invent the P bass and it would be a huge success the same ... the value is intrinsic with the instrument's concept per se not only or actually due to the fact that it was one of the first models to be produced and marketed ... then, of course, we have to add that Mr. Leo Fender was a great innovator profoundly in love with his job and mission which he dedicated his life to and thus produced results without doubts ...
    Many times I wanted to buy annIvanez for example and likely sooner or later I'll do this .... however I still find the general ergonomics of Fender basses more suitable to me, maybe because I learned how to play in Hondo II P bass copy ...

14. Mdrummey

Mdrummey

Oct 18, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Lots of hit/legendary records have the fender sound. People are looking for that sound.

Lots of musical directors/band leaders want the look. Most band leaders aren't going to care or be impressed if you show up to rehearsal with a $10k custom bass.

"But....Check out my Brazilian rosewood fingerboard!"

People that aren't on talkbass have no idea what that is.

All that being said, my ideal bass collection would contain a little bit of everything. I get just as excited about a Ric, Ibanez, Danelectro, and Fender P as I do for Fodera, F-Bass, Wal, Modulus etc.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Why not Fender?

Polfuste and PWRL like this.
  16. Your reply just threw my reply in a blender, liquefied it, and chugged it in one gulp.

/endthread

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  17. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    pictures are worth thousands of words, so...

Carol Kaye
    [​IMG]

Donald "Duck" Dunn
    [​IMG]

Bob Babbitt
    MG_6732-2.

Joe Osborn
    JoeOsborn_1972.

Ray Pohlman
    [​IMG]

David Hood
    hood2.

18. SheaNC

SheaNC

Jun 15, 2006
    Marysville CA
    The reason people buy Fenders is to keep dust, gravel, rocks, etc., from being picked up by the tires and hitting the car (or the driver). Sheesh.

19. laslen

laslen

Nov 25, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Those are called mud flaps, not fenders.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  20. I have a Fender Jazz Deluxe V with the noiseless PuPs. Just bought an Ernie Ball 5 String neck thru Stingray, it smokes the Fender in tone, band mates are like now your talking. I feel bad because I love the Fender so I thinks its PuP and PreAmp upgrade time. I like Fenders tho a Fender Precision is a whole lot of fun, solid beautiful basses, miss mine.