Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkFlo-Mofo, Jun 22, 2001.

1. FunkFlo-Mofo

FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree that Fenders have their merits, but I can't find any reason to choose one over, say, an Ibanez Ergodyne of the same price. I mean, the Ibanez comes with options found on high-end basses and can be made to sound as punchy or as smooth as you want. And all the Fenders I've played (including a $1300+ Fender Jazz last weekend), while having great tone, play like a two by four and are as basic as you can get. Fill me in or back me up.

2. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Its because a fender is a "fender". i mean its the biggest name in guitars and basses. they have the most widely insturments in the world. u cant go wrong with a fender. their timeless, and they are the same as they were 50 years ago. and their legacy lives on. long live fender.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    because i like it... that' s all i got :)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're not just buying the bass.

Besides the name, as Ska mentioned, and the history, you're getting assured good resale value that almost any dealer will take as a trade-in, a large market for them used, a website where you can find out all you need to know about your instrument, and probably the most extensive authorized parts and repair network in the world.

Besides not doing all that well on the resale.trade-in market, Ibanez basically tells you at their website that if you have a problem with one of their products to go chase yourself.

Yes, MIA Fenders are overpriced, but prestige among the mass market carries a lot of clout when it comes to pricing. People will pay the extra for that decal on the headstock whereas Ibanez has little pedigree.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    It's the COOL factor. There are lots of better bikes out there, but I still ride a Harley. :)
    Doc

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Like you said, Fenders have a great tone. More than that, it's THE tone. Every bass amp manufacturer tests their product with various instruments, but it's almost a cinch that a Fender will be one of the instruments they'll use. Ergodynes, well, let's see how long they'll last.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I bought mine for the sound... though I did buy my 78 even though it was dirty, with dead strings and in need of a setup because I knew that even if I didn't like it, it was way below the current market value AND that market value is only going up.

Cleaned it up, restrung it and set it up and it's now my favorite Fender.

I like them (Fender Jazzes) because of the sound. There are basses that are prettier and have more features and options but if it doesn't sound great what's the point?

8. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I like my P-bass, but I can't imagine ever spending more than $500 for a Fender. especially a "vintage" 70's Fender!

9. I've played that Ibanez, and I thought is was cold & crappy sounding. Acoustically is was worse.

10. They sound good. Ibani dont, to me anyway.

11. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I wouldn't use a bass cause it looked good, but sounded bad.

Fenders are good, but they don't have any basses that have the musicman type tone I like.

12. Because they're Fenders, that's reason enough. Only about a week or so before I can get mine.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    At this point in my life, I've come to see a lot of basses as the victims of overengineering (much like razors, running shoes and toothpaste). I'm sick of turning knobs. How many bells and whistles do you really need on an instrument to get a good sound? I think the right answer is as few as possible.

Fenders are about as basic as you can get. Most sound pretty good. Some are actually pretty well made. All, I'll admit, are overpriced, based on features alone. The name, however, does have value.

Given that our instrument is so young and so variable in design, it's natural for at least some of us to look for a time-honored standard. Fender's basses, for better or worse, establish the benchmark by which all subsequent basses are measured.

14. I went used MIA Fender, and got a great deal in the end. I got a '97 MIA Fender P-bass w/hardshell case for $300 with a $30 set of strings put on it, and besides for a few dings, it was in great condition. Sounds great, looks great, (even cooler now that I put on the black moto pearl pickguard) and plays great.

15. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    JAZZ BASSES man!! I love 'em. Once I tried one I told myself that this is it! I have an Ibanez Soundgear and they just don't seem to click with me. I'll admit, the Ibanez looks way cooler(I think jazz basses are ugly) but the command I have over a Jazz bass is something I've never had before!

16. fenders? overpriced? your kidding right? i got my fender p bass, squire amp, cord, strap, and bag for 467.63. and yes, i did just go and dig up my old checkbook to find that.

17. FunkFlo-Mofo

FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    Ah yes. I have been enlightened. I now see why the timeless Fenders are so popular. But in defense of my Ibanez, I think it sounds better and has more versatility through an amp. You are right though; acoustically, it's crap without an amp. Oh yeah, I don't like Soundgears much really...they are a bit cold. I'm lookin into a Conklin.

18. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the "features" on my bass. I don't even mess with the knobs after I found my setting. Ever. Okay, maybe a couple of times, I turned down the Tone knob when I needed a little deader sound, but that was pretty rare and I didn't like it. ;) All I need in the way of electronics are two J-pups and somewhere to plug in my patch core. In that respect, Fenders win big time. They've got that Fender sound and they don't have a billion knobs to get in the way of, you know, playing. Besides, my Midnight Wine Fretless MIM Jazz Bass looks durned purdy. ;)

Btw, greetings to anyone who may remember from before my extremely extended absence.