Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why FLAT fingerboards are on fashion?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pantografo64, Dec 19, 2000.

1. I could have a classic taste preferring 7.25" radius fingerboards.
    But why the great number of builders use 9", 10", 12" and even flatter radi?
    And really many bassists like it or you have to buy what you find?

O.K. for avoiding strings escapes out when slapping and bending ... but also for that I have no problems with 7.25".

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hmm...dunno why they make 'em flat fingerboards nowdays Pantografo...

maybe it's beacuse it is much more COMFORTABLE and you can have all your strings inline.

my previous bass had a 7.25" radius and to say the truth it felt like s***

3. Curved fingerboards are better for playing bar chords, flat fingerboards are better for string bending. Guitars can have a compound radius which allows both, each in the section of the fingerboard where it is most used. This dosn't work as well for bass as we bend and chord in the same register more than guitarist.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Quite a few bassists began their musical training as classical guitarists. Maybe that influences their design choices.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My Yamaha 5-string has a what, 23 5/8" radius... now THAT'S flat! :rolleyes:

Coming from a 4-string Fender Jazz (9.5"), it took some time to get used to, and I had to refine my technique. But now I actually tend to like flatter fretboards more than the curvy ones.

Why they're on fashion? I don't know, I'm just happy they are! :)

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My Carvins are 15" radius, but they're 6's so a tighter radius might be kind of strange. It took NO time at all to get used to them after my Fender fretless 4.

The Conklin GT7's are dead flat. Kind of spooky when I first touched one but for some reason it seemed to make sense after I played it for a few minutes. I also once played a custom fretless 6 that was dead flat AND straight (no trussrod camber, just absolutely straight), and I thought it played fine, just different. I was sitting in front of the guy who built it, and he got a good laugh out of the surprise on my face when he TOLD me it had no radius. I hadn't realized it. (Though it actually had P string spacing so it was a bit like playing a sidewalk...maybe that's what was dominating my attention. But I digress.)

My point? Dunno. I guess if a manufacturer puts something out there, it's because they're hoping at least some people will think it works for them. Lots of opinions out there, so I suppose there'll always be lots of choices.

[Edited by Eli on 12-30-2000 at 04:57 PM]