1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why fodera?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cloren, Mar 17, 2008.

1. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    I've never played a Fodera so maybe that's what my problem is- but I can't figure out why one would pay upwards of $8000 for one of these.

Ive checked out the specs- the woods and electronics they're using aren't totally rare or hard to get (for example, the fodera model 2000 preamp costs $300)

so the answer must be in the craftsmanship- which, without a doubt is amazing. they're beautiful instruments and I can only assume a pleasure to play. but are aesthetics alone worth the price tag?

Fodera owners- mind filling me in on what the hype is all about?

2. +1
    ok admitted am in this part of the world where you dont get a flavor of all these cool super expensive basses but i understand 1000$ basses ok i feel alright with $3000 basses but:eek: $8000!!

holy crap thats indeed a life time of saving to me anyhow:rolleyes:
    anyway sorry for the rant...you guys go ahead tell me how beautiful fodera's are but i have seen enough of them on victor wooten videos

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    They sound and look like 1-million bucks, so at $8000, they are a bargain.

4. A search will bring up a lot of threads on this subject.

It all comes down to whether the price is justifiable to the person ordering. There's a lot more that goes in to a Fodera than just the tangible things. At least for me.

They're world-class instruments that are built by one of the best and most legendary luthiers in the business. Almost everytime I've heard these basses recorded, I've loved the tone. I know the playability is there so that won't be an issue.

The guys that order a Fodera "get" what they're about. For those that don't get it, they probably won't order one. And there's nothing wrong with either.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Why does Fodera charge so much? Because they can.

You could easily ask why luxury cars, hand crafted furniture or a Rolex cost so much more than a Geo metro, stuff from IKEA or a swatch respectively. There's as big a difference between a Fodera and an MIM Fender as any of these examples.

But I think people realize that. The question seems to be how much of a difference is there between a Fodera and say an MTD or a Ken Smith. The analogy is similar there. How much difference is there between a Maybach and a Lexus SC430? (I'm not much of a car guy but I think this works as a comparison). Enough that most people will know? Maybe, maybe not. But people will pay it. Same thing with basses. If the market will bear it then it isn't overpriced. And obviously the folks at Fodera are doing alright considering their wait list.

For me, it's the Law of Diminishing Returns. After a certain price point, you are getting less "improvement" for each dollar. But if someone thinks a Fodera is the best bass they can buy (and I've seen many make that statement) and they have the money to buy what they consider the best, then more power to them.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You pay $8,000 for one because if you don't, you can't have one. Think about it.

7. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    More generally, I can't imagine why anyone would pay any amount for any bass I haven't tried, because I have no clear idea what they're buying. But considering the length of the waiting list for Fodera's basses, I'd have to suspect there's something about them worth the asking price, in the opinion of enough people to keep him overbooked permanently.

Even if whatever it is lies beyond my ability to appreciate, that doesn't mean it's not there. It only means those nosebleed-level bases are built for folks with more taste than I'll ever have.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    You have to pay for what you get, quality wise. I am not crazy over Foderas but I own 2 right now (just sold my Emperor Elite 5) and I respect the craftsmanship, attention to detail and sound they provide. Not everyone's cup of tea (take it from any point you like: price, tone, width of neck, whatever) but the quality is undeniable and the hours, attention and quality that go into every instrument translate into many (very expensive) working hours.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Because they can put their prices that high and people will still buy them. So they're doing alright.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You could buy a Ferrari transmission and alot of aluminum and steel, but that's not quite the same as owning a Ferrari is it?

11. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    +1

Add ons, options and secret magic aside, you're still paying a couple of grand for some words/a cute butterfly to grace your headstock.

Mmmmm, designer bass.... :bag:

12. Well, believe it or not, some people can shell ou 8000$ on something without having to sell a kidney. I'm not one of them at all, but if people can pay 250000$ for a luxury car why couldn't they pay 8000$ for a luxury bass?

I'm sure a fodera sounds and play awesome, but it is not required to own one to acheive a good tone. They are a luxury item, perfectly crafted, perfectly designed electronics and made exacly to the specs of the customer, all by hand.

I mean if you earn 50k a year and spend a fifth of your income on a bass, it's pretty stupid. But I see someone that earns 300k a year paying for one no problem. If you look at whose playing foderas, it's often middle aged persons with a good carreer who wants a very good bass or professional musicians that attained a level where they are financially comfortable enough to pay for a high quality work tool.

Of courses there are exceptions but this pretty much sums it up.

13. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    OK, the original question is "what is all the hype about?". Well...simply put, you have to play one first. If you have been playing for a while and have had the chance to play on a number of different instruments, you will feel it instantly - good or bad. Many find them incredible (as I did). They are world-class and have a tone that nothing else can get. That being said, I would not have mine as my only bass. It is just one of my tools.
    As far as the price...that's up to individuals to decide if something is worth the dollar amount asked. I would not buy a Ferrari because I'm not into cars and the cost justification is not there. I did get a Fodera because I make my living with the bass, the cost justification was there, and I fell on the side of loving the tone, feel, etc. about the instrument. Nothing wrong with not liking them. We are all different, and I'm really glad that's the way it is.

14. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Heck, you can drop $25000 on an Alembic, but that has nothing do do with necessity. Seems to be a want. That and having too much money just laying around.

15. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    The hype comes because famous people use his basses period. I have a bass currently on process by a luthier in his old shop in montreal nobody knows about but can produce the same quality instrument as CT or Fodera (if not better) but will charge 3000$ just because nobody as famous as Les Claypool use his basses that's it. I asked him the same question and that was his answer. CT and Fodera are top of the line basses used by renowned basssist. Look for different luthier, check with musical stores around you to know who's the best luthier than go talk to him you'll probably get a better deal

16. Well, no ones NEEDS a boutique bass. I mean, anyone can get a very good tone with a 1000$ bass and a good amp, a tone good enough to play professionally.

Does a Fodera sounds better than a fender? I'm sure it does, but Can anybody absolutly need a Fodera to play, even on a prefessional level, certainly not.

17. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I totally agree with JustOpenYourMind - 100 hours practicing on a cheap bass will give you a better sound than working 100 hours to buy a fodera - think about it

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not necessarily. It may make you a better player, but there is no guarantee it will give you a better sound.

19. Why wouldn't the same thing apply to the Fodera? Gonna hafta raise the BS flag here.

Sound is subjective. However, you may need a Fodera for certain types of playing. If you need a bass that has a very articulate low B, the lowest possible action, and need it to be comfortable for 8 hours of band practice and a studio session, sometimes ya gotta bring out the big guns.

20. Absolutly, practicing 100 hours on a fodera and you will have a better tone than practicing 100 hours on a squier.

What I'm saying is that you can have a great tone with any good bass. If you can afford a Fodera then fine, but you don't NEED it to have a good tone.

Lots of pro players uses moderate value basses even if they can afford a boutique one. Some prefer to have a nice Fodera some feel right at home on a Fender Jazz bass.

Does Marcus Miller gets a great tone out of his jazz bass? sure

Does Victor Wooten gets a great tone with his fodera? hell yeah

which one sounds better is quite subjective.

But even if Marcus bass was heavily modified. it is still a mass produced instrument with regular woods made by chain workers.

Victor's bass is handmade to his specs and i'm sure it plays better that the jazz bass.

Both players however get great tones from both instruments.