Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samie, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    After 3 years off the bass(sold everything) and into DAW, on my return to the wonderfull world of bass playing I choose a frettless because:

1. My goals have changed, I now want to spend more time learning and studing the instrument, not playing in groups.

2. It seemed like a challenge. More expresiveness?

3. I figured I could get more sounds and tones, besides I figured it might work better for getting non-bass like sounds with fx etc.

It turned out to be a little harder that I though but I am getting all that I was looking for.

I was wandering why other people have choosen to go the fretless path.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

MWAAAHHHH (really!):D

3. You hit it right on the head- expressiveness. For me it is the ability to pop a harmonic and slide it, a nice smooth legato, that "touch". Fretless seems more an extension of my fingers, playing the wood instead of the Metal (frets). It just seemed more natural.

4. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Fretless is just a different voice. I can get sounds out of my fretless that I can't get out of my fretted. I can get sounds out of my fretted that I can't get out of my fretless. I can get sounds out of an upright that I can't get out of any electric....and vice versa.

I think if I only could have one bass it would be my fretless, because I can "fake" more sounds. I've recorded tunes where I couldn't tell if I was playing my fretted or fretless (and it was fretless). I can cover about 80% of the fretted tones with fretless (I'm not much of a slapper though). I can also get a semi-upright tone, and approximate the vibe of an upright (although it isn't quite the same).

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I bought my Fretless [ashbory] because it allowed me to get tones i just can't get outta my jazz or a fretless jazz [other competitor for my fretless buck]. The ashbory also sounds better in certain types of music compared to my jazz-acoustic numbers which call for an upright i can easily fake on my ashbory with a tweak of my amp. Thats all

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    First and foremost...it's fun. I'm still discovering new ways to play it, simple changes in technique can yield huge tonal variations. I really enjoy the freedom of working between the notes.

I prefer unlined fretless because lines get in the way for me. An added bonus is that people think unlined is harder to play;) My main bass is a fretless and I use it for everything, including slap.

7. Brad, I hear you on the unlined thing.

I always used to think that I'd be totally lost on an unlined board until I actually played one. From then on I was sure that if I ever got a fretless it would be unlined just for the sake of looking like a real bada**. :) (well.. I guess I guess I would have bought the same bass even if it was lined.. it was the right bass at the right time at the right price.. the lack of lines was just an added bonus) Of course I still have a ways to go until I can play like a real bada**, but I think I'm getting there. Image is nothing unless you can back it up.. or something.

8. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    expression
    harmonics
    tone
    feel
    and because mingus never needed frets

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He never needed a strap either.

10. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    didn't need electricity for that matter...

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Maybe not...but it makes recording sooo much easier;)

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Welcome to T/B XG :D ! (how `bout the rest of that profile? ;) )

Excellent point. And succint! (how'd you do `dat?)
    At this stage, I dislike frets almost as much as g**t*r players!
    Ya' know, just the other day, I was thinkin'...:rolleyes:

13. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Guys, stop it please. You are giving me a GAS attack. I have been suppressing the urge to get a fretless for some time. This is not helping.

14. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Well then don't look <a href="http://enzyme.usc.edu/images/zl1.jpg">here</a>...or <a href="http://enzyme.usc.edu/images/zl4.jpg">here</a>...or definately not <a href="http://enzyme.usc.edu/images/zl5.jpg">here</a><p>
    I wouldn't want to contribute to a reckless spending incident (RSI).

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Classical, eh? The transition to a Conklin beast should be easy then :p

You might be interested in this thread ~
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10114

phil_chew! :oops: Avert your eyes! :eek:...

[​IMG]

16. SUIGAS?

Spending Under the Influence of GAS.

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    It's (currently) at http://www.basspalace.com
    ...until John Turner finds out :p .

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    DAW ... what's that? Daughters of the American Wevolution?

19. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    DAW Digital Audio Workstation... you know having a pc based studio... with hardware/software etc. Its really amazing what you can do today.
    In fact, if you are not careful, you endup creating less music that you did with you tascam 8 track. Just spend the time testing and upgrading until you get a zillion 24 bit tracks with fx etc, and some how it is still not enough!!

20. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Maestrox/Steamboat,

It's not RSI or SUIGAS that are top or my worries. It's DIVORCE !!!