Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why G is the 1st string ? :->

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VersozerO, Feb 3, 2004.

1. VersozerO

VersozerO

Dec 17, 2003
    Italy
    Hi all,
    a little questions that no on answered me 'till now.

Why, in bass and guitar, the string named as 1 is the higher one and so on ?

Why doesn't it start from the low ones (as for violin) ?

I know it's a stupid questions but i'm just a curious guy :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - when people say - how is a bass tuned - they say : EADG - which implies to me that the E string is the first one !! ;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Or are we just talking about the fact that basses are tuned in fourths and violins in fifths?

Although "Viols", the predecessor of the violin family , were tuned in fourths.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's the way I learned it, and was a little "confused" (for lack of a better word) when restringing my 4-string Spector over the weekend when I noticed the DR Lo-Riders I used called the "G" string the "1st" string... :rolleyes:

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...

6. VersozerO

VersozerO

Dec 17, 2003
    Italy
    no, no
    nothing to do with the way we tuned it.

Only the number of the string.

For what i know the standard agreement is to numer it
    from the higher to the lower (you can see it when you buy a strung.)

Why ? :crying:

7. Bruce Lindfield

I just looked at all the packs of strings I have lying about and none of them say this - they just have G or the gauge - my Pirastro Flexocor DB strings packets, say G Sol !! ;)

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Inherited from guitar world, where the treble comes first.

Wonder how they are nubered in the contrabasso world... :meh:

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I play a 4 and a 5. When refering to the strings on my 5 string, the 5th string is the one that doesn't exist on the 4 string. Makes sense to me.
    then again, based on my theory - the high C on a sixer would be the 0 string :meh:

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, that is where the theory stops... I am sure some old professors would still say that my 6er is not a bass... :D lol
    The numbering is absolutely outdated.... wait, there were alternated tunings and experiments with multi-string instruments int the baroque, too (talikn' bout a 7 string violin, huh, whaddaya say to that :p ) and the viola da gamba, from what DB originates, had 6 strings and frets. hahahah :p :D so to say the least this is a stupid system of naming strings

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was taught that the G string is the 1st string (on a 4 banger) and E is the fourth string. Have no idea why it's like that though.