Why get 2 of the same basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 25, 2001.

1. I noticed that Brad Johnson posted pics of 2 '97 MIA Jazz Basses. Why get 2 of the same basses? Color? I've noticed people mentioning that the have 2 Stingrays or 2 of this and that. Why?
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Only too much is enough.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

(owner of, yes, TWO Carvin LB76s ...)
  3. LOL. Nothing like a hot pair of twins eh??? :D
  4. If someone really loves their main bass, they might get an identical one as a backup.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    thats what i was just gonna say....
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I think that 2 basses won't sound EXACTLY the same.. Woods might be the same but the grain areas are different. Thats what I think.. One can sound a little different than the other. :)

7. That's a neat question that I often ask myself after
    buying 5 of the same basses. (fender precisions)
  8. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because I'm totally & completly <b>INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! :p</b> and I mean that in a good way :D
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A few possibilities are:

- 2 good basses with different strings, (e.g. flats & rounds, different gauges, et al).
    - 2 good basses with different action, (e.g., one for slap, one for fingerstyle, et al).
    - 2 good basses with different tunings
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You'll also divide general wear 'n' tear between two basses, and it will be longer before you need any maintenance such as a fret-job. Although, a fret-job should be cheaper than a 2nd bass ;) .
  12. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I bought a second Tobias because I wanted a backup to sound identical to my main bass. Unfortunately it sounded completely different, so its for sale. I'll let it go cheap. Anyone interested?
  13. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Some people like to have the same bass, but with differnet types necks ie. Rosewood and Maple.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess that I am more like you, alexssandro.

I own 6 basses, and they are all different. I like all of them, my favorite is my Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5, but I don't want another one.

There are a few other basses that I want, but they are all different models than the 6 that I have.

I guess I just like diversity.:)
  15. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey If I could get my hands on a Zon Custom Fretless 5, I'd like diversity too.
  16. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    It's funny this comes up today... I was just wrestling with getting another bass. I have a Warwick Streamer Standard.

I went to Guitar Center Friday and after much playing, testing and fretting, settled on the Warwick Thumb Bolt-On over a EB Sterling. It's not EXACTLY the same as my Streamer, but there are many similarities.

(I said to the salesman, "Convince me." He said, "Take it home for the weekend, and then decide." -I know the salesman pretty well.)

Well, I got the Warwick home, plugged in, played around, and recorded some stuff... Only to find it didn't sound remarkably different from my Streamer.

(I know the Streamer Standard is the cheap Warwick, but maybe I got an especially good one. I love it. I mean, the Thumb looked a million times better, and it played and sounded beautifully, but I couldn't reconcile the $1,225 it cost.)

Anyway, the Thumb went back to GC today. So I'm back to square one... I want another bass (just because it's fun to bass shop) and I can't bear to leave the cult of Warwick. (Hey, I drank the Kool-Aide. What can I say?)

So why two of the (sort of) same bass? Because it's fun to bring home a new bass.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you have the money why not? :D I think it'd be nice to have a jazz with flats & a jazz w/rounds. If i had the money [infamous words ; ) ] i'd have 2 of each of my basses. thats all
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Duh.... !

So you could smash one of course - and not worry about it.
  19. I can see myself buying a fretted Stingray 5 to match my fretless someday.. wouldn't be exactly the same bass.. but similar.
  20. mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    Im not sure its possible to have two of EXACT same bass. I mean, go to a big music store and pick up 10 *instert your favorite bass here*s and each one sounds and plays slightly different. There are so many possible things that could vary from each one. Then again, maybe they just like the look? I always buy the same brand shoes so I can relate....