why GK heads are so cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    can someone enlighten me as to any problems with the GK 400RB stuff, other than it is fairly low power solid state? i just notice that it seems to bring very little as used gear.
    I don't own one but in researching heads it made me curious

2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Well, it is solid state, and its relatively low power.

Exactly how cheap is cheap anyways? Personally i have a GK 400 RB-III, got it for like 400, never had any problems with it, and i think its more than loud enough for my rock-band purposes. They're great amps
  3. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    the 400rb is pretty old and they made lots of them and most don't ever die......so there are many still floating around.......not the most sexy amp, but a really good deal

I used a 400rb into an ampeg 8X10 SVT cab for years and it sounded great!!!!

I now have a 400rb-iii, but I might be getting something a bit more powerful soon
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think that's the answer right there.

I love my 700RBII!

5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yep. +1 :D

I keep an old early 80's 400 behind the passenger seat in my truck and it goes to every gig with me as a backup. It's pretty much bulletproof and sounds great. I think I gave 2 bills for it in VERY used condition. A real classic, IMO. Don't know much about the new ones, however.
  6. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    if you guys check out ebay, there is a guy selling 400rb upgrades (capacitors et ct.)

looks kinda cool.....wonder how they sound

and some really really check GK amps right now