1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why go single with a double option?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PartyFindsYOU, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Just out of curiosity, for you players out there who stick with the single pickup option... why not two? I understand the benefits of the single pickup in the "sweet spot," but for basses like Ernie Balls when the single H model's bridge pickup is in the exact same position as the HS and the HH, what makes that choice even worth it?

2. More mojo.

3. Speaking as a long-time Single H Music Man player: there are a lot of variations in tone that can be found in playing different places, plucking pressure (?...for lack of a better term), plucking with different parts of the finger (very tip of the finger or more of the "pad"), playing with your thumb...you get the idea.

I would be more inclined to buy a HH or HS MM if there was 2 volume knobs or a blend for the 2 pups as opposed to all of the switching options.

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Simplicity! Stick with what you need, the rest can get in your way sometimes...

Some even say that extra pickup and wiring changes the sound of that "one" pickup soloed - extra magnetic pull, extra resistance or whatever...

I love them for simplicity... I tend to play with the controls instead of focusing on the music, so I might switch back to a P-bass... Just can't decide whether I should even keep the Jazz or not, I will first try some flatwounds on it, I might like the results :)

5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    On the one hand...

You can only play one tone at a time, right? For so many devotees, the P-bass or 'Ray sound needs no improvement and the controls can dial in the bite and warmth.

There are other hands, but I prefer not to master the obvious this early in the a.m. More coffee anyone?...

I've got an older MM Sabre with a HH layout and I'll admit that the one shortcoming in its design (for me) is that the pickups are switched instead of having individual volumes. I really like that extra control in my Jazz where I can cut just a little of the neck or the bridge pickup. The tonal difference is enough to make me think I sound more appropriate for one song or another, but I could probably run both wide open all night with the crew and sound "right" in the mix with that one hell-a-cious tone.

Also agree that there's a significant difference in the sound I make when I play (fingers, no pick) either closer to the bridge or up toward the neck. Sort of makes for simple on-the-fly tone control.