1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why go to college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Sep 18, 2008.

1. To learn

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. To gain a degree on resume for job opportunities

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. To meet a significant other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. To appease parents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. To learn carrot cultivation methods

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Other - explain

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. What was/is your primary motivation for going to college?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    John Tesh

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Because I wanted to be ripped off for thousands of pounds and a pyramid scheme seemed to immediate.

4. Because I wanted to be Tony Danza when I grew up.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Tony Danza Tapdance extravaganza will melt your ******* face off.

6. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I like the lifestyle.

7. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Combination of the first two. I am an engineering and needed to learn the basics and get a degree so I could get a job in my choosen field.

8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    because I was young, foolish, and thought that it was a good way to secure a future for myself... twice.

Dropped out both times. Hated it. Trade school is where it's at for me.

9. Initially, because I was told that was the only way to make mony in the real world. After I realized that was BS, I stayed for the education.

Mike

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, degrees are just symbolic that you can be a good employee and jump through society's hoops. No I'm not bitter dude that didn't get his. I have a Masters Degree. I really just stayed in school for the chicks and learning. Not always in that order, and sometimes the two combined.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Learning was why I went, but I was also hoping to remake myself socially. I ended up not learning as much as I could have, and I was very unsuccessful in remaking myself as an all around cool guy.:D

The bottom line is that college is a great place to learn academically and it is also a great place to learn to be yourself.

12. To learn and to explore career opportunities that require education beyond what high school can provide. Meeting new people and making friends is bonus.

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    +1 to Dr. Cheese. As much as I (and now my son, a sophomore) needed to become educated, I also needed an intermediary step in the metamorphosis process of growing up.

College = Larval stage (?)

14. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
  15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm here for the job.

The one thing they don't teach here is common sense, what most of the world lacks. I can learn anything, formal education or not.

I just need that stupid piece of paper.

16. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    To get that piece of paper called a degree which states that you are entitled to work somewhere where they pay above minimum wage.

Seriously, I'm only doing it for the job. I want to become a Paramedic, and though it doesn't require a college degree, more and more EMS/fire departments are looking for candidates who are well-rounded and educated beyond what is expected of their job. A few departments I looked at also offer higher starting pay and bonuses for those with 4 year degrees.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I went to pick on nerds.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, plenty of those on law courses! No wonder I'm not cut out for it! :atoz:

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No I think you're not cut out for it because you don't know how to use prepositions. ;)

20. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Fixed it for you