Why god, why? (AKA Clear Basses)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Jun 17, 2005.

1. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
  2. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Not to bad:
    "Weight: 13 1/4 pounds"
    Not exactly a feather but considering the size only about 3-4 pounds more then my lakie ... I think ill pass though:)
  3. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I had an Ampeg Dan Armstrong reissue about 6 years ago that I used for many gigs. Not bad at all. Although it did require some mission impossible style eq-ing.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i dont know man thats pretty dope looking.

ive always loved the dan armstrong clear basses and guitars.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Who cares what the tone is like? It'll be good enough for a loud rock gig and it will look cool. What else is there?
  6. I'd rock the hell out of that bass. Now I can wear my orange paisley velvet pants and everybody could see the intricate stitchwork 'twixt my nether regions.

But, for sub-$250, I'd buy it just for the body and replace everything else. Lucite is pimp.
  7. Had a guy in a "local" forum over here try to sell one of those... lots of people went to try it, but none ended up buying it...
    guess doesnt matter what else is on the bass if it doesnt have a wooden heart ;)
  8. At least they could have polished out (or at least quick-flamed) all the rout marks in the cavity.

I personally think they're pretty dumb (much like the colored plastic BC rich geetars with the matching headstocks) but hey, to each their own.

9. I think Ibanez has a model that's made out of the same material, lucite. It enables them to get a "sculpted" body, a la Spector, on the cheap. IIRC, Bass Player did a review and said that the tone wasn't all that bad.
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Naah, it's a pretty pointless endeavor unless they're going to make the neck and fretboard clear also.

Get yourself an acrylic bridge and tuners and wear the clothes that are the same color as the back of the stage and you will just be a floating head, hands and strings.
  11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Or wear Flea's favorite stage attire, and have nothing obscuring the view for the ladies.
  12. No, that material is actually called "luthite" and is a sawdust-resin hybrid
  13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Luthite? You mean Itsth made of thsawdustht? Thufferin' thucccotash!
  14. Yes, Ibanez makes a bass series called the "Ergodyne" series that are made out of "Luthite," but, they also make an clear RG made out of "Lucite." Luthite is a type of plastic, whereas lucite is the "bullet proof" glass. The RG I saw at Georges Music in Downtown Disney was very expensive b/c of the use of lucite in the build and construction. (This geetar was expensive, even by George's standards :rollno: )
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I fell in love with an original DA a long time ago, great bass, WAY too heavy.
  16. That's Lexan you're thinking of. Lucite is similar, but not so strong.
  17. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
  18. Not safe for 'da kiddies... :rollno:

A-okay with me, though.