Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHY GOD WHY!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by prnkng10, Mar 12, 2003.

1. prnkng10

prnkng10

Nov 10, 2002
    bridgeport, CT
    Is it just me or has the bass today gotten a bad rap. No one anymore takes a bassist seriously, and just considers him someone who never could quite get the hang of guitar. And it seems all these new age mediocre punk/ rock bands aren't helping! Please some one tell me why the bass has been reduced to a duel guitar band filler or a simple root note playing rhythm........ DAMNIT I WANT THE RESPECT WE DESERVE!!! I’m about to leave a band, that of which I formed none the less, over this issue.... please someone keep this going I really do have a lot more to say. :confused: :mad:

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    We put the balls into a band.

Without us, its just a caveman and a few show offs :D

3. thats why I listen to Mudvayne,hehe...

Some "punk" stuff has good bass:
    Rancid
    Green Day
    Old Old Blink-182(Carousel Mainly)

Just my 2 cents...I wanna play a big part in the main sound of my band too...I hate being silenced by the guitars...

FIGHT FOR SOUND! :)

-Jon:oops:

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My band's guitarist only plays chords and welcomes all the bass I can throw at him :D:bag:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yup. That's the position I'm in now, too.

6. Were you just BORN yesterday!?!?!?

It's always been like that.

Bass players are nipples. You don't appreciate them until they're gone.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just play the best you can and ignore the jerks.

One day, they'll learn how to listen.

I hope your playing isn't being influenced by your desire to be "respected". That's the kiss of death.

8. As Garrett said, it's always been like that.

9. Been play bass now for 35 years and I have never played in a band where the other members thought the bass was any less important than any other instrument in the band. Try being a little more selective when you start a band or join one. It's alot more fun!!

10. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    OK.......

He is not Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee. And he plays mostly root notes. But he (nor his fellow punk bassists) is not "hurting" us by any means. In fact, IMHO, he is doing more to bring the bass player to the front of the stage and to the level of respect that the audience gives the guitarist. He is hardly that unspoken, no one remembers his name bassist that is always in the dark off to the side of the drummer and who is always in the back of any band photos who no one wants to interview. Is that the role that the bassist must always assume until the end of time?

In these hallowed halls of bass wisdom, I have read lots of great advice about the bass guitar as well as complaints about playing second fiddle to egotistical guitarists. I have some thoughts on this in relation to Blink (or Greenday or whoever):

1. Most of you will readily admit that it is the love of the instrument that brings you to the bass (as opposed to being failed guitarists). Well, it sure looks to me like Mark enjoys playing his bass. Where is it written that you have to be a bass virtuoso to be able to reach their level of success? Some say the goal is only money (selling out as disgruntled musicians say), others say the goal is to have fun and enjoy yourself. I would dare say that he is doing BOTH. Why is that wrong?

2. Nor does he sit back in the corner near the drummer and anonymously crank out notes. He is upfront with the guitarist and singing. He is not a second class member of the band by any means. I see lots of people in these forums wishing they had that "equality" with their guitarists. Is that a bad thing? The more people see the bass guitarist outfront, the more your average non-musician will realize just what a bass player is.

3. Nearly every bass book or video that I have read or viewed seems to emphasize that the bass player needs to "keep it all together" and be the "foundation for the song". Mark Tremonti from Creed said in an interview once that while he loves to solo extensively in private, he usually doesn't because he plays for the song. In other words, the song overall is more important than the individual musicians egos. If the song calls for strong root note action, why would you play something else just because you can?

Personally, I like Blink182 music and I am in my 40's. I just started playing recently and I still suck by my own high standards. But I play with some coworker friends who are 100x the musician that I am but tolerate my "beginner" playing level because we do it for fun (now I just wish we could do it for $$$, Ha!, I'll have to settle for "fun" for right now). But we have a blast doing it. We have fun!

Perhaps the role of the bass player in the band is changing! Sure, he will still have to be:

a. the rock
    b. the foundation
    c. a member of the rhythm section
    d. keeping it all together
    e. moving the song along

But just maybe he will now be asked to sing more than in the past and to be upfront with the guitarist enjoying the spotlight. Again, why is that wrong?

This is not a bash Blink troll post either. I used them as an example.

If you could have lots of fun playing bass, play to large audiences and make tons of $$$$......who wouldn't want that?!?!?!!?

:D

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go out and ask a few people on the street, "Who is/was the best bass player ever?" Ask about their favorite bass player, too. Virtually no one will even be able to name a bass player, best, favorite, or otherwise. If you're playing bass for props, ego gratification, fame, or other fleeting reward, it's your mistake. The reward of playing bass is the playing.

12. prnkng10

prnkng10

Nov 10, 2002
    bridgeport, CT
    At least I see now people agree with me seriously... I started this band with one of my best friends and I was TOTALLY against a duel guitar scene, I like a four piece with the occasional addition of a random instrument (sax, keyboard, even a friggin obo, I don’t care really). I really like the distinct sound an individual instrument can offer without having to compete with duplicates. So I leave for vacation for 2 weeks and when I called to check on them I hear my friend say “Oh yeah dude uhhhhhh we found a second guitarist huh huh huh”. I really felt like they went behind my back. Okay back to the point now I find myself competing for spot in songs, keeping my amp louder to have more presence and were learning more 2 guitar covers which leaves me high and dry. Not to mention I friggin started the band to hopefully make a more bass oriented metal but because now I’m “Just the bass” my opinion on stuff means dick.
    Now to finish; anyone who says they start a band to play and have fun and be a structural part of making music is full of ****. People start bands to get laid, do drugs/ drink, be famous and die young. I’m not meaning to offend anyone I just really need advice from perfect strangers cause they’re the only people I’ll listen to.

“Yeah babe I’m in a band, I play the bass”
    “What’s a bass?”
    :bassist:

13. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    -thanks God his guitarist likes him-

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    ;) It can't be said much better than that.

15. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    3 man band.

1 drummer, 1 bassist, 1 guitarist

each has their own "predefined" area and no competition.

Find a guitarist whose ego will not allow for a second guitarist (he will see that person only as competition). And then remind him that your good bass playing skills will only make him look better (and he can solo more!).

;)

also, be the the lead singer and bassist! If you are singing the metal lyrics and pounding out the metal basslines, then the guitarist is going to have to follow you..........

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    What type of music do you and your bandmates listen to? If you want to explore more interesting music in your band you and your bandmates need to expose yourself to it first. If they are'nt willing to do that I would dump them.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :rolleyes:

I don't expect to get rich/famous/laid/drunk because of my band-if anything I have lost money or respect with my continual band hunts. I start/am involved with bands purely for the enjoyment of playing music-doing something that brings me a great deal of satisfaction. Its fun, constructive, and makes people happy, namely myself, and no I'm not full of S***. Please be careful about throwing around your ignorant opinions- you don't appear to be God and I seriously doubt you can read minds. :spit:

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    THAT'S going in my sig! :cool:

19. Nato

Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah the bass is unfortunately something that is hardly ever noticed when it's doing what it's supposed too but man when it's not it it messes everything up. I have had quite a few people come to me at church after i played and say something like "Hey great job strumming away on your umm...uh..." I always have to tell them it's a bass and that i do not strum!!!! But the good thing it that bass player can slap which cut's though anything:D .

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think bass players go unrecognized unless they screw up a few times. Because bass is usually part of the overall sound of a band. If everything runs smoothly, the band will sound good. If the bass or drums screw up it's like, wow that sounds bad. If guitar makes a few little mistakes... it's ok they are sloppy, it's cool it's punk. Like Nirvana, Kurt played sloppy as hell, but Dave and Krist played tight which made Nirvana a good band.