Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why gold?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove_Master, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    i know that ken smith basses have gold hardware.. cables inside etc.. and yesterday i saw that yamaha john patitucci model has gold stuff too..
    so why? what do you gain with gold? money? :p

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gold hardware is a chick magnet.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nothing brings cred at an audition like a bass with bling

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    because its straight pimp. werent you informed?

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well if they are using gold wiring,is it because gold is a good conductor of electricity/electrical signals. That kind of wiring is found in expensive computers, mainframes, super computers, etc.

As far as hardware color, simply personal preference. I asked Ken about that before and he said that he will put black or chrome on his basses as well.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ever heard of someone putting in a chrome or black tooth? No?

Well, there you go.

7. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    does it makes sound different?

8. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Gold hardware is good if you like somewhat heavy metal.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Honestly, I believe using gold wiring for something as simple as the average control setup for a bass guitar is overkill.

It has probably been done before, but I couldn't even guess if gold wiring would make any difference as far as sound. :eyebrow:

However, the benefits of gold wiring are probably very noticeable in the application of a super computer.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why gold? Because pimpin aint easy.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Gold connectors etc. - are seen as very desirable in Hi Fi separates - depends whether you want a Hi Fi bass I suppose? ;)

The thing is that Gold does not tarnish, oxidise or break down like most metals - so copper is probably a better conductor than gold, but it oxidises quickly.

Gold will therefore last much longer and a thin layer will protect other metals from corroding - which can be a source of problems in sound gear - of course, providing it's not scratched or damaged.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Silver is a better conductor than gold, and I think I heard that its oxidization is conductive as well. But, it looks bad, and it's probably not even close to being as conductive as actual silver, so gold is used as a kind of sheath to keep the silver from corroding. I think the ideal connectors would be a silver connector, plated with gold. But then again, I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm not as educated on the subject as, say, Bruce.

Gold hardware isn't ACTUALLY gold -- it's gold plated. Usually nickel or brass underneath, I think.

13. I've seen a silver tooth. :p Seriously!
    Thanks
    Troy

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, but that ain't chrome or black, now is it?

15. Bruce Lindfield

Non-Originally posted by Govithoy

"Gold hardware isn't ACTUALLY gold -- it's gold plated. Usually nickel or brass underneath, I think.."

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I thought you were referring strictly to connectors/jacks in your post, since you were talking about the wiring, electronics stuff. I was referring to tuners, bridges, knobs, etc.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Fair enough, I was only pulling your leg!! ;)

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I can never tell with you! :crying: Man, I remember when I was first here and I totally fell for your bait once. It's all good though. :D

19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Gold seems to go really well with the maple and swamp ash one of my basses is made from. Chrome would look silly on it.

20. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    ROFLMAO :D :D :D