Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why hasent some crazy nut made this

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by top028, Jan 13, 2003.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have an idea to make digitally controled analog pedals. It would involve a digital controler with a way to save presets. Then you have say 21 mini XLR outputs (seven 3 knob pedals or other combinations) inside the black box there are resistance circuits connected to the XLR outputs. You could use servos attatched to pots or instead of servos, some kind of transistor circuit that would simulate audio and linear taper pots of different resistance values. You replace the knobs on the pedals to have mini XLR jacks, and the Black box changes the resistance values. Allowing you to save different values and settings controlling an entire pedal board by way of some midi switching device. It would be like a digital processor, but it would actually sound good!! I would probably pay $300 or more for something this good. Problem would be paying for all the R&D. The company could have a small pedal conversion department so that the customer would send in thier existing favorite pedals to work with the unit or do-it-yourself kits.

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    you just re-invented Bob Bradshaw's wheel.

$300 won't even get you 2 pedals on a bradshaw switcher though.

ek

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    DAMN!! You beat me to it.:p

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a trained monkey who lives in a big box w/ all of my analog pedals. He can use his feet and hands for knobs and he works the wah w/ his butt -so he can change 5 parameters at once. I used to have to signal him for changes but now he knows the whole set. I'm in the process of waterproofing all of my pedals so that I can train an octopus to give me 8 simultaneous parameter changes. :D

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Do you know what bradshaw's invention is called? THe wheel? All I saw were switching devices on his webpage. And not much about controling effects. Some VERY nice switchers and midi toys though.

6. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    What you saw was exactly what CAS does. the "switching devices" and "midi toys" are exactly what you were talking about.

The phrase "re-inventing the wheel" means just that- The wheel already exists- why go through the trouble to invent another round thing that rolls?

Bob Bradshaw's systems manipulate vintage/standard effects from a single controler electronicly- no servos or mechanical parts- but by electronicly changing the risistance values for a device through MIDI signals.

often the only device onstage is the floorboard with the effects housed in a offstage rack. The cost of doing so can be quite expensive, one of the guitarist I work with looked into having his pedal board converted by bradshaw for his 12 to 15 effects it was going to be something like $8,000.

Now if you think that you can cruise over to radio shack, buy the parts, assemble them and make a viable solution for $300- Go ahead. you've built a "better mousetrap"

but here's the deal... Bradshaw can charge what he does because very few others do. In fact, he's about the only one where joe schmoe with a web browser can find the info- most guys that build those systems use his design and ideas for independent customers- mostly pros that get in touch with them by word of mouth...

Bradshaw is a boutique name that equates with professional quality- his clients are the guys we read about- that also is what gives him license to charge what he does

7. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Errrr.....
    It's not difficult to do at all, at least with one pedal.
    I make loads of effects for myself and friends.
    Obviously I'm not going to give the game away, but I have done this for a g**tarist buddy.
    He wanted to be able to quickly save and retrieve "Preset" values on the "Fuzzface" clone I built him.
    I housed the "remote" in an old Wah pedal, using the pot as the remote "Fuzz" control and two stomp switches, one for "save" and one for "retrieve" and an LED display.
    It'll store and retrieve 8 settings.
    Total cost (excluding the old wah pedal) was about £20. (30 dollars?).