1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why hasn't Ampeg re-issued the fliptop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Mar 5, 2008.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    They seem to have got it mostly right with reissuing the SVT. Will they continue the trend by re-issuing the other tried-and-true ampeg classic, the B15 fliptop? Or will it never happen because it's mainly used as a studio amp, and studios that want them already have them, making them impractical?

2. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I would hope they would reinstate the Fliptop. It would also be great for home use, not just in professional recording studios.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    They do have one. Its just terrible. B15R if you're interested.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    If you count the B-15R, which was a 100w B-15 with a different speaker cab, it was just recently discontinued since its beginning in 1999. And about 2 years ago, Ampeg was going to reissue the B-15N as it was made in the 60's, but Ampeg shelved the idea right before SLM sold to Loud.

I still hold out hope for a reissue, though it's not all that hard to get an old one.

BTW, I have gigged with my 64, and if you have a good PA or aren't playing ultra loud, it's definitely usable on a gig.

5. +1. B15R is a nice amp but................ a real RI a bit like the VR woould be great.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the B-15R. Daryl Jones uses (used?) one on tour with the Rolling Stones. Expensive though, damn.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
  8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    They can be had for as little as 800USD

I played the b15r and I hated it, barely recognizable as a b15

9. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    B-15R sucked. Other than looks, it isn't even close in sound to the originals. Plus, it was WAY too heavy (like 120lbs). For an all-tube amp, it was very sterile. Had no mojo sonically.

10. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Interesting that it is the V4 head which suddenly everybody loves. In the old days (60-80s) nobody used aV4 for bass.

11. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have always looked at the B-15R in the same light as the other Ampeg models sharing a name with products of the past. They are good products in their own right, but don't sound a whole lot like the amp they are 'copying.'

12. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a '71 B15N and a new V4BH. I like the tone of the V4BH better. Cleaner, but still warm and I can get it dirty if need be.

The B15N is a very nice amp, but more for the studio. It is heavy and seems fragile for moving around. Then again, mine is old, so I hate taking it out.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The newer V4BH heads are sweet, and coupled with a 15, they sound alot like the B15-R, for alot less $$. I'd be in line for a true reissue of the original, but these days it doesn't look good.

14. BTW, the B15R IS the V4BH.

15. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Does that mean I can add a half power switch to my V4BH without much trouble?

16. I've never seen how they implemented the half power feature in the B15R, but it shouldn't be too hard to replicate in a V4BH.

17. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have a '67 B-15-N and a 2002 B-15R/15E. I agree that they sound very different but I'm very pleased with the B-15R/15E in its own right. I dial the tweeters way, way back, and I get some great tone from it for Blues, Classic Rock and other old school stuff that I love. The extension cabinet and tube upgrade to 6C7A's made a nice improvement. Ampeg Fliptops, old or new are still the coolest looking amps on the market IMHO. If they came out with a true reissue, I'd buy one. I'd also recommend a B-15R/15E to anyone looking for old school tone and vibe.

18. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Sure it was, which is why Ampeg decided to pull out the reverb tank, make a few minor tweaks and issued the V-4B for bass in '71.

Billy-Bob

19. cause ampeg sucks and their company just sees dollar signs, instead of innovative or good sounding equipment. they sold out a long time ago.

their vintage stuff is great though. they really had their act together back in the day, releasing stuff that was quality and innovative.

20. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Now wait a minute... I did! Actually, they were quite popular, that's why the V4-B came along, to lower the price for bass players by cutting out the reverb. They were hampered by the big bins that Ampeg designed to go w/them, but they were used a lot to "upgrade" from a B-15 or 18 for live work. There seem to still be quite a few of them around. I won't sell mine, even though I set it aside for an Acoustic way back when (much lighter!).