Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why hate any type of music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Well, I try not to hate any music, but in fifteen years who will be humming "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT"?

Lemme see, is there anything more to that song....................................Nope.

2. One thing i cannot stand is punk. For many reasons, not many amazing bassists get to show their talent in three chord rock. Many punk bassists may be very good, pity they can't really show it, better yet they become 45, wear skatie clothes and write songs about high school. :p

Its all a matter of preference.. oh BTW WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!??

umm it was that bloke over there...*points*

*Mr Burns voice on* Release the hounds....

:D

Merls

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm as guilty as anybody of thinking or saying "I HATE that sh**". But when you think about it, it doesn't make any sense to completely write of a style of music totally, especially if you want to develop a unique style. Look at most any player who's considered to be innovative; they most always incorporate something that's considered "outside the box", many times taken from a style of music that differs from their regular genre.

That said, I've tried very hard to find something positive in rap but I've decided that one is a bit too hard for me unless I can find one of those vocal eliminators...

4. there is only 1 type of music that i hate..

R&B / soul

damned.. a bunch of sissieboys showing of their fake-muscles and whining about how h*rny they are, and bragging on how good they are in bed, combined with a weak breakbeat... that's NOT music imho...

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One kind of music I hate is classic rock.

One kind of music I hate is emo-core.

One kind of music I hate is Icleandic sea shanties.

One kind of music I hate is opera.

One kind of music I hate is township jive.

One kind of music I hate is Bulgarian wedding music.

One kind of music I hate is acid jazz.

One kind of music I hate is psychobilly.

One kind of music I hate is deep jungle.

One kind of music I hate is rancheros and corridas.

One kind of music I hate is rai.

One kind of music I hate is Tuvan throat singing.

One kind of music I hate is Gregorian chant.

One kind of music I hate is village waits.

One kind of music I hate is serialism.

One kind of music I hate is musique concrete.

I'll add more later :rolleyes:

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    There is more to R&B and soul than Sisqo and his ilk.

Listen to James Brown. Now THAT's soul. Or try D'Angelo or Jill Scott...

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I only dislike specific singers/groups, -can't write off an entire genre.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I;d have to agree with you there...Everytime say "I HATE (insert music here)!!" there is usually one or two people that I like, thereby making that statement useless...However, I will say that I am not a fan of Rap, R&B, Soul, and Hip-Hop and Country, and that whole emo thing. Of those types of music, I really do not like any artist I have yet to hear. And of those, Country is the one I dislike with the least venom...

From the movie "the Last Boy Scout"
    -"I want to hear you scream!"
    -"...Play rap music."

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can't hate emo-core! No one can! No one knows what it is! :D [​IMG]

Anyway, I must say I'm not a fan of rap. I suppose if the lyrics were moved to something perhaps more... artistic, shall we say? (Shake your ass! But watch yourself! Shake your ass!)

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Because music does move us emotionally, it is no wonder that some music will arouse negative emotions just as some arouses pleasant emotions.

As I've stated elsewhere country music irritates me. I'm also not a big fan of rap. I often like the beat, but then once the singers begin to rap, I just can't stand that. There are exceptions...I like some of Coolio's work. I like much of the Beastie Boys, but they aren't pure rap.

The steadily pounding bass drum of techno-dance irritates me too.

But each to his own. (Cada loca con su tema.) Just as there is a wide variety in tastes in food, there is a wide variety in tastes in music. Live and let live.

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    And *** is that???
    But I try not to hate music, although I can´t stand modern pop..

12. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I see many people hating rap. I don't like it neither but I think trying to play rap basslines is a verry good exercise. Just try to play as deep and with the "weight" that have rap basslines. You'll see it' not easy. Plus a lot of this is made with a computer and I like a lot when a human can do whatever does a computer because I know computers can not play like a human. It makes me feel really good. ;)

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Me too. But I've been making some pretty good $$ playing Irish Sea Shanties! :D

14. I can't stand this pop country crap, the coorporate engineered boy bands, little h**s showing off what they don't have, this new bling bling rap that's about nothing more than sex money and cars, and punk.
    But i love most any form of rock, any thing heavy, old country, gangsta rap, latin cuz it's so fun to play, and symphonic or classical mixed with heavy guitars, our symphonic winds band at school made a recording and our band went over it with some heavy guitars and drums. If you've ever heard the divine comedy you'd love to hear our version.

15. i cant stand rap

i cant stand r & b

i cant stand new age country/pop stuff

i cant stand boy band groups

i cant stand ska (but i love punk and emo)

i cant stand trance, dance, or anything like that

i cant stand black metal (thats the only metal im not too fond of)

but if i have to listen to it, i can deal. so i guess i dont hate it, i just dont like it.

16. I guess you wouldn't want a copy of my Ivo Papasov's "Balkanology" cd then...

I don't hate any style of music, but there are lots of artists I cannot listen too. Most rap makes me ill, and opera generally bores me to tears, but I can't say that I hate either genre. I don't listen to them, but that's my choice. Every style has its good and bad points/performers.

As far as rap is concerned, it is the use of samples and (for the most part) the negativity of the lyrical content that gets to me. When I saw Coolio say that he wanted to kick Weird Al Yankovic's ass for stealing "Gangster's Paradise", I thought that was pretty funny- considering that Coolio's "song" was nothing more than a direct sampling/ripoff of Stevie Wonder's "Pasttime Paradise". What gonads.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I hate all rap.:rolleyes:

I hate all Puerto-Ricans.:rolleyes:

I hate all women.:rolleyes:

I hate all homosexuals.:rolleyes:

I hate all Christians.:rolleyes:

Oh wait! Somebody once told me that prejudices and stereotypes can be bad! C'mon everyone! We've evolved past blanket statements haven't we?!?

How 'bout "I have not yet heard any rap that I like."

"I seem to like every Icelandic Sea Shantie(?) I hear!"

The subject of this thread is "why hate..." So? Why hate? I don't waste my energy hating.

18. Well put. I used to really, really, really hate rap. I wouldn't even admit that it was music. Then I heard something that I liked, I can't remember what it was though. Although I must admit I can be prejudice too, I'm not particularly a fan a boy band music. I've just never heard any I liked, the same thing with bands like Boyz II Men (is that how you spell it?). It just isn't my thing, I've never heard any of it that I can really see any musical value to.

19. Jazzbo, I see your point, but hating a style of music is different than hating a certain group of people, IMO. I don't see hating rap as being predjucice. It's like saying, "I hate potato chips." That doesn't mean I hate everyone who likes potato chips or the people who make potato chips. (sorry, cheesy example:D). I hate rap because there is no music, it's just a computer generated beat with some talentless millionaire guy rapping stupid pointles lyrics over it. Then on MTV Cribs you see these rappers with all these cars, women and huge houses, TVs and sound systems. It's all marketing. ALL marketing. That's all it is. That's why I dislike it very much. Hate may be a strong word to use, but there's nothing predjudice about it.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But you're believing what they give you. Don't let MTV be the definitive voice of an entire genre. They, in fact, should be last to that privelige. If the only representation I saw of rap was MTV then I would not only hate rap, I would hate the world for bringing me this mess.

And yes, saying you hate all rap is a prejudice. Be sure to distinguish prejudice from racism, because they're too very different things. If you say you hate all rap, that is a prejudice, because you're prejudging an entire group based upon your experience. You have not heard all rap. For all I know, you could hear every rap song, ever, and hate it all, but until that time comes, saying you hate it all, especially based upon what MTV offers you, is prejudging. I'm simply encouraging more of an open mind, to say that you have not heard any rap that you like. There is a big difference in saying that, then saying that you hate all rap. My point is to illustrate that saying that you hate all of something is a precarious position to put yourself in. Also, it could establish biases that may prevent you from liking some rap in the future. Maybe what you really hate is the hip-hop pop culture that sets certain slang, fashion, and style standards for it's self.

Also, saying that there is no music is a dangerous argument. Music is not defined as guitar-bass-drums or some variation. A more open-minded approach to music is in order. You may not like electronic music, but to attempt to discount it's validity is wrong. I can also site many examples of rap music that is not "a computer generated beat with some talentless millionare guy rapping stupid pointless lyrics over it." Many.

It seems to me that what you dislike the pop hip-hop culture, mainly as protrayed by MTV. This culture has many examples of greed, misogyny, violence, intolerance, and hate. If these are the things you abhor, then sign me up for your club, because I do not like those things either. But be sure to distinguish that from the rap genre. If I were to show you some rap acts that use live instrumentation, or have strong, relevant, and positive messages in their lyrical content, or that show a daft talent for melody and meter, perhaps you might change your mind. Perhaps you wouldn't. The point is not to shut yourself off from experiencing.