Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why hate country music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Jun 7, 2001.

1. I was at work today, and after Howard Stern, I put my personal radio away. The guy next to me had his regular radio on, and it was on a country station.I noticed that I was getting very irritated. And then it dawned to me, it was the country music.
    Now I know this is narrowmindedness, and I should be more open to it, nut believe me I've tried. I just can't stand it. I sincerely apologize if this rubs anyone wrong, but I find nothing at all pleasing about it. I have friends that like it, and we have nothing in common musically. I have another friend that has a recording studio, and a very versitile musician (he plays 6 or 7 instruments, but when it gets around to the country stuff (and it always does), I just cringe and want to leave.
    I even broke up with a girl, cause she was so into country, I couldn't identify musically with her. It just turned me off too much.
    I know it's me that's screwed up here, but it is inescapable.

Is anybody else plagued with this problem?

I can stomach one or two Shania Twain songs, but that's it
    I'd rather go to the dentist than listen to the rest.
    Some bands rub me the wrong way also. I won't say who. I probably made enough enemies already.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm of two minds about country music. The drum and bass parts are incredibly dull. The lyrics are mind-numbingly mundane. Country music is, dare I say, formulaic.

However, the parts for the melody instruments (guitar, steel, fiddle etc.) often are very cool and very difficult, from a technical standpoint; more so than what passes for difficult in most popular music. The genre also attracts a great number of really talented people.

Players like Merle Travis and Mark O'Conner floor me. Also, I have new respect for Clint Black after seeing him play every instrument on stage during "Austin City Limits".

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I enjoy a good COUNTRY song now and then. I do not enjoy some of this new "dance-country" crap that has become so popular of late. I like the bad boys of country: Willie, Waylon, Johnny, Merle, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., David Alan Coe and the like. Can't stand guys like Tim McGraw and Alan Jackson. Some of my faves are: Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing At All" and Dwight Yokum's "1000 Miles From Nowhere" and "Fast As You."

4. Um, put very bluntly and arrogantly...
    IT SUCKS.

5. Hey some of it actually isnt bad. I like the old skool country too. The pop country annoys me.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <center><big><b><i>The Hellecasters - total twangdemonium !!!

Even if you hate Country, the Hellecasters are KEWL...</big></b></i>

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good attitude! :rolleyes:

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Old skool Country was really just another Blues-based offshoot(some cool stuff); the CURRENT stuff, IMO, is waayyy too formula-oriented & wayyyy too geared on "what LOOKS good" in a video...in short, total PRODUCT.
    Ask yourself this: How come there are, like, ZERO unattractive "stars"? Am I supposed to believe that the "unattractive" aren't talented enough in the vocal department? Don't get me wrong, I'll stare at Faith Hill all night long...though, that show tune she's doin' for the Pearl Harbor movie is total schmaltz.

The current stuff is more Rock/Pop than "Country"; crossover appeal is what the industry wants...& yet, when Shania did it her way, she was, initially, shunned. I don't get it...
    BTW, I've heard of bands that actually got their foot in the door in Nashville & hadda fight so they could actually PLAY their OWN instruments on a recording. I've heard The Dixie Chicks & Trick Pony mention this in interviews; they would do a record IF they were allowed to play their own instruments.
    The powers-to-be want a certain "sound" & are comfortable with the established studio veterans' knack of attaining said "sound" in a relatively short/quick time. That's fine, though, IMHO, every record sounds THE SAME, save the "star's" vocals. S'funny, Motown had this philosophy back in the '60s & their stuff cooked.
    Anyway, the whole thing smacks a little too much of The Monkees, eh?

...no doubt, though, the guys that play in the Nashville studios are some very high caliber players.
    Some of the bassists are Dave Hungate(Toto), Willie Weeks, Joe Chemay, Mike Brignadello, Glenn Worf, Michael Rhodes, Keith Horne, etc.

Christopher mentioned Clint Black; the keyboardist in Clint Black's band used to play around here in a Jazz-Fusion band called Secrets; other players in that band included Carter Beauford, Tim Reynolds, Butch Taylor, & John D'Earth...all recently affiliated in the Dave Matthews machine.

The Mark O'Connor cds I have are pretty damn bad; recall O'Connor replaced Allen Sloan in The Dregs...O'Connor ain't no slouch on the guitar, either.

Take what I say with a grain of salt; I'm currently playin' in a New Country band....granted, MY parts are pretty simple. The "simplicity", though, can be a killer; as a guy who's used to playin' a bunch of notes, I'll tell ya, it's a bear to HOLD a whole note, FULL value, over two bars. It's torture! ;)
    ...and I'll also give Country music lovers their due: they come out in droves to see LIVE music! Really!

9. I like the old stuff, Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline are pretty talented. My dad listens to Willie Nelson a lot and I am not extremely fond of him but the disk he has called "The Red Headed Stranger" is a pretty good. . . I guess concept album.

Weird using concept album in a non progressive rock form.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...while I'm at it, here's an anecdote-
    Few years ago, a friend of mine goes to Nashville & lands the gig playin' bass with Tanya Tucker. Anyway, after a couple months, he's strolling between the busses & Ms. Tucker sticks her head outta her bus & is yelling at my friend, sayin' "...hey, who are you? You look familiar".

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I was just about to say that. Country music people may not be the "coolest" in the world, but there ain't a rock audience around that can even approach that level of support. I know some of you younger guys is going to start going on about how rabid the fans of PapaRoachKornCreedBlahBlah are, but they change allegiance faster anybody. Country fans stick with an artist literally for a lifetime.

It's pretty damn refreshing to go play a gig and have EVERYBODY in the place lovin' it. It makes all that root-V a lot more worthwhile. Don't sell it short. Also, country gigs pay a HELL of a lot more $$ and you can still get things like the "house gig", which has just about dried up elsewhere.

I agree that most of the newer stuff is pretty formulaic, cold and bad. Check out the roots...it's where rock came from. Nice raw, gritty stuff, done by players who meant every note.

12. I'll agree to that. The problem with pop country is the same as the any other kind of pop music, it's fine if you like pop music. I love country music, I just downloaded a whole bunch of mp3's last night, mostly Gram Parsons and Buffalo Springfield, although I think they're more country rock. My dad's really into some of the older stuff, and so is my girlfriend, but she likes Garth Brooks, which is one guy I could just never get into.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My son was a stage hand in college. Big acts came through there all the time, broadway road shows, orchestras, Harry Connick, rock bands, etc. What stood out in his mind was that of all the acts that came through there to perform the country acts were the most genuinely pleasant, unaffected, "un-stuck up", and never full of themselves. He didn't like country music, but he loved to work for the country bands and said they had the most fun crews of all the acts.

14. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't like country. It just seems to bring me down every time I listen to it(most times I am forced to listen to it like a friends car or room etc.) It is just not my taste in music. Not that it is all around crap but it is not for me that's ok. Some of the music I like most people would think that I was crazy. But oh well. It's all about taste just like the perfect bass is different for each one of us.

15. One of the things I liked about TalkBass when I found out about the site last year was the respect that was given to all styles of music from bassist on the threads. Seems like those days are numbered in here more and more. (What a shame) IMO it takes talent and hard work to play any style of music CORRECTLY!! All this ''my music is better than your music'' garbage really frosts by bassballs.
    Try to keep an open mind and quit throwing off on this or that kind of music just because you don't care for it. There is plenty of room for every kind of music in TalkBass. If not, we may as well go back to the guitar chat rooms on AOL

16. Not a fan of it, but that's cuz it's not my thing. If you like it, that's cool, if not, that's cool too.

17. I totally agree Jb. I've loved and listened to and played country music all my life. I'm anything but a redneck,and i've put up with the stigma of liking it all my life. It's fine for anyone to not like or even hate it, but some of you in this thread are downright rude. I too dislike the current radio "pop" country stuff. I also hate how appearance driven it is, and the way things "work" on music row in general. I believe the true country stuff i love to be a dying art form, but i'm gonna try to keep it going for as long as my fingers hold out. And yeah, country fans are GREAT. i play to a very enthusiastic audience every week. For the person that said country bass parts are "all" dull. I say LOL. Yeah, i'm sure you've listened to so much of it. What gets me is the musicians that knock country music the most are the total pits when it comes to playing it. They say it's 'easy", until the try it. I've seen arrogant asses like some of the posters on this thread suck out loud trying to play a country song. Also don't forget, there are people who hate and poke fun at the kind of stuff you play. As for me, i'm a country bass player and proud of it, and i know i can outplay some of you guys on rock too. Because country bass players generally make good rock players, not the other way around in alot of cases. We as players should all respect each other. Trent

18. Why like it? It's only good for love songs and stuff like that, in other words good for dates.

19. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Yeah, talkbass is a place for all bassits of all musical fancies to talk to each other and things like that. So thus, if they state that they like country or not, most of them say "IMO - in my opinion." For the ones that don't, I can see why some would get mad at them. :)
    Anypoop, I'm not much of a country fan, but I do have to agree at the points being made that 1) country fans are die-hard country fans and 2) some of the country basslines are considered easy until being tried out. Every now-and-then when my band's making up stuff on-the-fly, we hit into a country zone that makes up a good minute or two of the song. The only country I dislike is the slow country.....for some reason, all the slow country songs I've heard have always been sad and sometimes plain annoying because of the singing. I don't mind the fast country though, it kinda gets to ya after a while. :D That's only IMO though. Country music isn't really bad at all, it just gets to some people more then others.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Until you've played it, PROFESSIONALLY AND WELL, you should never put it down. Period.

I've played country, and let me tell you, one of the most difficult things I've ever faced was a slow country waltz. Almost as challenging as a hyper fast mambo! :D It only SOUNDS easy, folks. There's a lot more to it than meets the casual listen. Rhythmic note placement is as important to country as it is to anything else, including the Latin stuff I make my living at now.