1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why have Fenders prices gone up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbass717, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    They want your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Ok, but a Lakland Skyline is imported from the Cort factory, which uses significantly cheaper labor at every level of production.

3. Joel Hanlon

Joel Hanlon

Mar 15, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    +1

In my experience the Lakland Skylines are of a higher quality fit and finish with better electronics than the US Fenders. I find the Fenders to be very inconsistent. The rise in Fender pricing makes the Laklands a better value then ever before.

4. Well, I've got four new US Fenders purchased within the past two years -- a CS P-bass, an AV Jazz and P-bass, and a P5. While only the P5 is an AS, each is really well made.

Having said that, I'd absolutely consider a Skyline at this point given their high quality and especially now that the US Fenders cost more.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Especially with the Laklands being PLEKd now.

That being said, buy Fenders used.

duh.!

6. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1... Whoever decided to create these price changes needs to go back to Economics 101. Because raising the price is totally the way to get people to buy your product when everybody in the entire world is short on money. :rolleyes:

7. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I see this comment here about inconsistent quality from Fender regularly, however, I just haven't seen that in the US made basses for years. And the quality of the MIM's has gone up remarkably over the last 20 years. Through most of the 90's I taught at a place that was a Fender dealer, and played every bass that came through the door. And I've played virtually every Fender at the local shop here for the last 6 years. Build quality, including fit and finish has never been an issue (although I question some of the designs over the years). LOL, I have yet to see anything over the last 20 years from Fender that was a horribly built as the '74 Jazz I previously owned.

Keep this in mind. Street price for an American Standard Jazz in the early 90's was just under $800. Last year, the new American Series Jazz could be had for about $1100. That's only ~300 (under 40%) bucks in difference over the course of 15+ years. I can think of a whole bunch of things that have increased more ( a lot more) than that over the course of those 15 years. Cars, appliances, most groceries, etc. I believe this years price hike was a bit of a reckoning. Instead of going up with everything else, they made sure they were building something worthy of a higher price tag, and then raised prices.

Another thought.... several mfgr's have increased prices recently, including G&L.

Ljazz

8. Geez, another one....? Must be bunnies in the back room pumping these threads out.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The number of these threads prove that no matter how many people say they don't like Fenders, a whole lot of us must care or we wouldn't keep posting about their prices.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    LOL. Right you are, Doctor!

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oy, Round 27...

Where's the guy with the signature that says "I vote against the search function, we're here to talk to each other"?:rollno:

12. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    That's the way our capitalist economy works. Supply and demand, increased costs are either absorbed by Fender or prices are raised or some of both. If the price is/gets too high then people will stop buying and the price goes down. Economics 101

13. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Everyone is raising prices it seems. I was on the Ken Smith site today and the same bass (BSR5GN) I bought brand new in 9/08 is now $1300.00 more... WOW!

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang! That sounds like Ibanez time to me!:bag:

15. Obligatory "this has been discussed heavily already" post.

Also, try a search.

And most of the other brands have raised their prices somewhat, let's all talk about that now.

16. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Here's the kicker..... the increased prices really blow if you were planning to buy, and didn't do it last year. As I mentioned earlier, I believe this is a bit of a price "reckoning".... 50 bucks a year wouldn't be too hard to swallow, but 300 or 400 is. That is problem some have with this. It's easy to say "economics 101" when you either bought earlier, or don't plan on buying. It's tough to buy a Fender right now when a few months earlier the same bass was several hundred less.

17. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I paid $475 for my Jaguar new. Full price was $700 or 750 at the time. I curse in Fenders general direction when I walk through a store now and see them at a grand.

Is my Jag a $1,000 bass? Does it play and sound that way? It does now after many hours of setup, new pickups, tuners, bridge and nut. It sures as hell didnt sound like that the day I took it home.

I was considering an American Precision Deluxe but theres no way I'd pay retail for one of those or the American Std. now. Luckily, I work for a retailer who sells Fender and receive an employee discount.

Interesting note: Our wholesale cost hasn't gone up a dime since the hike. Interesting, huh? Fender isn't seeing the money, the retailers are.

18. Hey, you know what, I bought my '08' MIA Fender Jazz V a half a year before Fender decided to jack up the prices. I'm as pleased as it gets with my Jazz, it's an incredibly awesome stick. If Fender has to jack up their prices, let it be. Get used to it, the prices are gonna go up some more. Dig it, it's the reality of the world on commerce - my God.:eyebrow:

19. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    It's all very simple if you stop to look at it. Banks loose the money, we lose. Government bails out the Banks with our money, we lose. Corporations now have to be taxed higher to cover the money spent by the Government that is our money, we lose. Fender as well as any other large company will pass that overhead off to the consumer "us" to cover the lose in tax credits.

So in short, we pay more for our Fender Basses.

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    :D
    They're gathering again...
    t_beating_a_dead_horse_679.