1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why have Fenders prices gone up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbass717, Mar 24, 2009.

1. A lot of these companies, over the last five years diversified putting their profits into other peoples stocks, mostly oil, instead of their own companies and look what happened. I guess they think their untouchable but they're not. ....... They went down in 1980's they can do it again.
    Going Warmoth and custom is a very good idea. Once you know what you want.
    I was in a music stock recently and checked out fret work on Fender's and I must admit I wasn't impressed. There was a lot of poorly finished fret ends.

2. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    It is inflation...get used to it because it is probably coming our way on everything.

Seriously though, every Fender is over priced except the Squires. The American Fender's are ridiculous pricewise for what you get. I played a Marcus Miller last week, and it was noisey, was not setup well, and just did not feel good. If I was Maqrcus, they had better be paying me a lot of money to put my name on that.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    a)because: they can, they need it and they have a reputation.

b) They realized ,Fender is not a high level instument anymore ( marketing)

c) make some cheap improvements, raise the price and now we are close sadowsky level.

Fender increasing prices to show how good they are its same as Sadowsky that will not low their prices due " compromise'' reputation.

But why should worry about, there are great chepaer basses around:lakland , peavey, etc

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That's not the only differnece. Your Warmoth's resale value?

:bag:

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    How are their Jazz and P basses?

My point is, if you want neither, those companies have always been good alternatives. If you want neither. Of course if that was the case you probably wouldn't be looking at Fender for them either.
    :cool:

7. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    yeah... im never gonna buy a fender again until i start makin big bucks.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And why shouldn't it? It's a US bass vs. a KOREAN one.

Did you not know that?

For the record.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The calm, rational approach... unfortunately in short supply these days.

I have a genuine favor to ask of anyone in the Maryland/DC area who's been privy to these inconsistencies. They have a boatload of Fenders at the local GC in Rockville... could someone meet me there and point the inconsistencies out to me?

I've been playing for decades, owned a ton of basses, played even more and for the life of me I can't seem to come across as many problems as some folks do. I'm genuinely curious if the problems actually exist or they're considering a setup a problem or... they don't know what they're doing.

You can let me know through this thread or pm me. Let's do this... let's get to the bottom of this problem. For as rampant as the problem is, this should be a piece of cake.
    :)

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    No need to wonder, Brad, its that.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Warmoth has a resale value? simpsons_nelson_haha2-1.

12. I haven't seen any more quality from Fender, in fact I've seen less. The only improvment i've noticed this year is in the Squier line tbh. I think Fenders prices increased because a lot of old faces at Fender left last year including FMIC CEO Bill Schultz(bought FMIC back from CBS in 1985) and a lot of new ones showed up and fired/demoted the other older faces. The people running Fender now are Widget Salesmen, they don't care if they are selling guitars, monkey clothes or toaster ovens. You're going to see a very different FMIC from now on and asking $1250 for a MIM Jazz bass is probably just the beginning. FMIC is Fender, Jackson, Guild, Gretsch, Charvel, SWR, Tacoma, Olympia and Orpheum so I'm pretty sure those prices will go waaay up and quality....not so much.

13. That is definitely a factor to consider, but why would i build a bass with the intention of selling it?

Losing a ton of money on a store-bought bass is a huge downer, but Warmoth is about customizing things and making a unique instrument that's all your own. If you are after a dead-on Fender spec bass, you might want to consider the resale value, but if you want something unique to call your own, nobody is going to want it anyway, so you should be planning to hold onto it.

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You know, Dr Cheese is on the right track. Lots of people are mad about the price increases because they want to buy a Fender. Maybe not right now, but some time. The Fender mystique is alive and well. That MIA Jazz Bass just rose above many people's price range, and it's a bummer.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Why would you not anticipate resale value when making a large purchase? And make no mistake, specing out and building a Warmoth is rarely as inexpensive as most people think. You can easily spend $1000 in parts and end up with a bass that, should you ever find yourself in a position where you either want or worse, need to sell it, is worth maybe half that if you're lucky.

That's why. Unfortunately many don't consider that and get the rude awakening that's only a surprise to them.

This is nothing against Warmoth... bottom line, it's like a box of chocolates. Think about it.

I have nothing against Warmoth... I own a nice J style 4 string, Bartolini electronics, Hipshot Ultra lite tuners, badass II bridge, Dunlops, nitro finish. I know it cost at least double what I paid for it... maybe the previous owner thought the same way you did. Me? I'd hate losing that much money when I clearly don't have to.

IOW go for it. If it doesn't work out, the next owner will likely appreciate the effort and the sacrifice. After all, somebody has to be the original owner. The classifieds would be empty without them.
    :cool:

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    How much should a Mexican bass sell for? How about a Korean one?

17. There's a Warmoth bass on consignment at our local shop, brand new basically, and neither myself nor the shop owner think the guy has a snowball's chance in hell of selling it at the price he's asking for it.

It's a beautiful instrument with a quilted top, nice burst finish, gold hardware, etc., but once he got it assembled the owner decided that it just wasn't "right" for him. I haven't personally talked to the guy so I don't know what he means by "right".

He tried to sell it on CL and eBay, no takers, and no music stores in the area wanted to give him his price for it so Steve offered to put it on consignment. It's been sitting there gathering dust for about nine months now.

I guess the lesson here is that just because something specs out on paper as the perfect bass doesn't mean that it will be once it's built.

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You know I really agree with Brad here. Especially concerning consistancy with Fender products. I have played a ton of Fenders, and frankly I don't see the inconsistancy that many do. Especially within the last few years. Some of the prices that Fender is charging now I find a bit high(the vintage Reissues namely). However, the MIM Classic series have not increased much, and frankly most of them are very good instruments.

19. I have five Fenders, and they're all worth more than they were a month ago. Is that a bad thing? Nothing else I own--including my 401K--has increased in value. Even my wife says Fenders are now a good and bankable investment...gasssssss!!!

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fender is the only brand I know of that will actually gain in value after a period of time. Anyone who keeps a 2008 for twenty years will probably see it double in value. If you can keep it at least thirty years, the price will soar unless the market for basses undergoes a very fundamental change. Clearly, long term value is not a good reason to buy a bass you do not really want, but if you do like Fenders, it is just the icing on your cake.:D

As for the new prices, if you like Fender, just save harder and smarter.:cool: They are certainly worth it, IMO.:bassist: