1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why have Fenders prices gone up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbass717, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to admit I get ill when I think about having sold my Deluxe last winter! If I get another new one, I will certainly pay a whole lot more.:(

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I bought my 08 jazz last year for $1099 Canadian. Today the same bass is $1650 Canadian at the same retail chain. That is pretty intense over the course of a year. Its too bad for a lot of people as these basses will simply be out of reach for a lot of people. Many other brands have increased their prices this year as well but none so dramatically.

I lucked out recently and found a brand new 2006 Diamond Anniversary USA P bass for $995. It was discounted from $1750. It plays like a dream and is every bit as nice as my 08 jazz. There is still "new old stock" Fender product to be had at good discounts.

But seeing the new prices does kind of kill the GAS pains. Ernie Balls have also gone through the roof up here in the North country.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for NOS 2007 Jazzes with the S-1 switch. I think they are much better than most people think, and they are fairly cheap too. One can always remove the S-1 switch if that is an issue.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The more I play my 2008 Fender Standard Jazz V, the more I love it! Heck, I just found out Wednesday that I had not setting the filters on my Markbass CMP121P properly, and now my Jazz just sings! The neck pup soloed now totally nails the classic Jaco tone, and slap tone is approaching the Marcus neighborhood in terms of sheer sizzle. With my Sadowsky preamp engaged, I may not miss my Deluxe afterall.:)

If you need the 19mm spaced, thin neck profile, the Fender will disappoint you, but if are cool with the neck, the revamped Fender Jazz has tone for days!:bassist::D:cool:

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    The only thing about this that worries me is that other companies will follow suit. IMO, Fender sets the pricing standards for the whole industry of production instruments. This means Ernie Ball, Lakland (Skyline), Gibson, etc. are going to raise their prices too.

It's not just Fender and its not just guitars and basses. Have you noticed that strings from all manufacturers have gone up.? Also accessories and pedals have gone up too. It's part of business but it will unfortunately, only get worse as the dollar continues to lose value.

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I played one of those at GC and really liked it and that was with a poor setup and crumby strings. It could only get better after a setup and better strings!

7. Actually Fender is just now following them. Ernie Ball is already at this price point and has been for awhile. Lakland raised Skyline prices a few years back (and keep in mind that that price point is for the import line NOT the US line), Gibson has been selling at that price point and higher forever. Take a look at MF in the $1500 range and you will see that ALL US basses sit in that price range...G&L, Fender, MM, Gibson, etc.

That is why I can't figure out why people are only complaining about Fender.

8. Why have BMW prices gone up?

'cause they can! 'cause either way you buy them!

9. ray5903

ray5903

Dec 10, 2006
    fender have you lost your minds. right now with the times as they are you decide to raise prices.smart move guys (not) our local fender dealer has decided to stop selling the american made fenders so i now will have to drive or order online an american jazz bass.just because fender decides to get greedy.i'll remember this when i buy my next bass which wont be a fender i have 3 right now two was bought the same week before the increase.so hello ibanez nice to meet you hope we can do business very soon

10. I still don't understand you guys.

One person please explain to me why Fender selling US instruments at this price point is crazy but EVERY OTHER company selling US instruments at this point and higher is not crazy.

Pitch it to me.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own 10 Fender basses and as far as the price increase goes:

1982 Walnut precision special payed $650 in 2002, discontinued
    2002 CAR FSR 75RI SE Jazz payed $1500 in 2002, discontinued
    2003 Victor Bailey, payed $1500 in 2003
    2004 FMT V, Payed $1800 in 2004.discontinued
    2006 Geddy Lee. payed $600 in 2006, 100% price increase since I got mine.
    2001 Marcus Miller. Payed $749-789 in 2001. 100% price increase since I got mine.
    1999 MIM p bass I payed $237 bucks in pristine condition in 2002.
    2001 MIM dlx jazz I payed $420 bucks.
    2001 MIA natural bodied maple neck jazz I payed $750 NEW in 2002.
    1997 Custom Shop Custom Classic I payed $1500 new in 2007 w/o COA, discontinued
    I would be pretty disappointed if all these prices stayed the same, but as you can see the worth of my Fender basses has increased like all good investments should!:cool:

12. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    I wonder how much this will boost G&L's sales. :)

13. ray5903

ray5903

Dec 10, 2006
    cause it's all a chunk of wood

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Again, they think it's crazy because they didn't buy one last year.

And the spotty quality arguement is a poor and undeserved rationalization for the fact that they didn't get one before the hike.

It's like anything else..... if you want to buy a new Fender, then hang tight, shop around, and you'll find a good deal. Or check the classifieds for a used one.

Funny thing.... a local shop has two brand spankin' new 2004 Hgwy One's .... a P and a J..... Both are inherited from another store. He's probably gonna re tag them for a substantial discount, just so he can get them out of the store. I bet there are a lot of places like that. Shop around, and you'll see there are deals out there.

Ljazz

15. What?

Don't you mean bridge pickup soloed?

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OOPS! I was sleepy!:bag:

17. I supsect a lot of other companies will benefit if they are able to keep their prices from following suit.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Seeing that Geddy Lees are now over $1,200 and Sting, Reggie Hamilton, and other Sigs are now over $1,100, it really drives home the fact that Fender will be out of reach for more and more players. I have no problem in principle with the new prices because everyone knows that Japan is a high cost labor, high quality country, and MIM Fenders like the Reggie have a bunch of American parts, and are very well made also.

There is no reason why basses like the import Sig series shouldn't cost about as much a Skylines. It just shows how spoiled we were getting Fenders at the prices we did for so long. As I said a while back, the Fender prices increases generated so much discussion because Fender is still the iconic brand. Millions of people still think "Fender Bass," when they think of bass guitar. As was said earlier, it is a good thing that the MIM basses are decent, and that Squier is vastly improved. If anything, Fender has been masterful in the way they gradually rolled out new and improved product for a year or so before they sent their prices sky high.:D

19. Maybe Fender will follow the auto industry and start leasing their basses instead of selling them.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.