Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why have i never seen a custom bass with a p pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pestilence, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pestilence

pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    ive been playing bass for about 3 years but im just now getting really serious about it, and i was just wondering why you never see a pj or p custom bass?

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Do you consider a Sadowsky a custom bass? Some do, some don't. My Sadowsky has a PJ configuration, and Fuzzbass has a pure P bass from them.

3. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I just picked up a Mike Lull P5 "P" Bass. I read he builds around 250 guitars a year. That's pretty custom. Also Sadowsky builds both.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    look around, they are out there. Also, sometimes the P pickup in in a soapbar case too.

Vic Wooten plays a PJ Fodera, the Sadowskys mentioned, Benavente, Elrick, Dingwall... many P or PJ basses being custom made

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

6. There are a number of them out there. I've seen a few custom basses w/ Bartolini P pickups, but you really just got to look. Heres a photo of mine, it has custom wound P-p'ups
    [​IMG]

7. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    My Elrick has P/J pickups. It reminds me a lot of Victor Wooten's main Fodera bass, which also has P/J pickups.

[​IMG]

8. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    There are tons with a P/J configuration.

If you mean only a P, then I presume is because most people who only need a P, don't need a custom bass to fill their needs, and are happy with what a Fender brings.

Just a though...

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I guess that would eb the same for the people who only need a J/J?
    They could get a fender :)

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd call this one custom...:D

11. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Yvon: Yeah, but many people have J/J because of the tonal variety, so they could always end up wanting more.

I personally don't like J/J; too trebly for my taste (unless it's a Corvette, or an MIA Fender, which I find has a deeper tone).

Biker4Him: Nice.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was going to post yesterday Henry, but I didnt have good pics of your bass to post hehe. Glad you found the thread :)

13. Thanks Radiobass!!

You too Juneau, I must admit the pics I have of the Bennie are not the best. I need to take some better ones, but since the GTG I've left it at home so I can actually... do some "practice". I found out my chops suck!!!

14. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Do you have any recordings of it? I've always liked to hear a bass with a P/P configuration.

Have you ever seen those Fender Elite II's? They look really nice, but I haven't gotten the chance to play one.

15. My band is going into the studio beginning of September. I may or may not use this bass on some of the tunes. I've kinda got it up for sale as it's a 34" scale, and my fretless is 35" scale. I play the fretless the majority of the time and don't want the shorter scale to mess with my intonation. So I'm getting a new 35" scale fretted bass made by Pete Skjold who also built my fretless....that way they have the same feel. BUT... once the recordings are done... no matter what basses I use... I'm going to post the heck out of them!!

16. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Good luck with the recordings. Sounds like it'll be fun!

17. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It's because P-bass is old scool. And fancy expensive customs just dont jive with old school. P-bass is about Mojo.

18. Because you have never seen Victor Wooten play his Fodera or Reggie Hamilton play his Fender custom shop bass? :) You can find them out there.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I beg to differ...

[​IMG]
    plenty of Mojo here

sure it's a dual coil not a split coil... but it's a humbucker in the P spot just the same :D

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us