1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why have multiple basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZUR13L, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ZUR13L

ZUR13L

Feb 29, 2008
    Weird question, I know.

Try not to jump on my head too much, but, how many basses do you really need?

A fretless? A fretted? An upright? 4, 5, 6 string?

I'm really not trying to flame, just understand. Why have multiple 4 string fretted basses, for example?

Thanks.

:)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Different tones. Every bass (almost), sounds different.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Better question: Why not

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    backup for shows. Also, GAS is a perilous thing.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    instead of the standard "for different sounds, duh!", i'll walk you through the process of my acquiring multiple basses!:

i bought a Lakland JO about 4 years ago. i love it. it plays great, feels great, sounds great.
    joined a rock band. when we went in to record a 3 song demo, one of the songs didn't sound right to me. something was off with my tone. it wasn't sitting the way i wanted it to. in fact, my JO wasn't working for the track. i realized i needed a more P sound. so i went to BE and played every P they had until i found my '51 RI. while not a traditional P, it played, sounded, and felt the best in my hands. i bought it, and it worked beautifully on that track.
    couple years later, i joined a metal band that tuned down to C. instead of ruining the neck on either my JO or my '51RI by constantly detuning, and retuning, i bought a 5 string. the metal band hit a snag, i left, and shortly thereafter, sold the 5.
    however, all that time i was listening to a lot of the Police, Paul Simon's Graceland, and Bad Company, all of which feature fretless basses. i knew i wanted one. so i bought one. a fretless P, to be exact, because while i liked the sound of a fretless J, i couldn't get behind it. also, the already slim neck threw me off when lacking frets.

so there you have it. i own and love and (ab)use three different basses.

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Why does a dog lick his balls?

7. because we can. or when we cannot we will beg and borrow for more fear. The bass player is just another gearhead

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    For the sheer joy of it.

9. Why? Different songs call for different sounds, and different techniques require a different feel.

My Warwick Corvette has a clear sound perfect for playing chords or cleanly spelling out melodies, it also has tight string spacing making it easier to strum and tap.

On the other hand, my Stingray has "that" sound which is perfect for just grooving with the band, and a bit more space around the strings makes it perfect for slapping and really digging in with the fingers.

10. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    When I have the money to buy some new basses, it would be for different tunings, tone and a bass to fit the style of music.

11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I dunno.

personally, I've got 1 and only 1 tone that I really love (Ibanez SR505), and I see no need to get a different tone. Nothing else sounds good to me.

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Three reasons....
    1. For backup
    2. For different sounds
    3. Because they're there

13. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    Just because they can!

14. I have 2 basses.

A fretted and a fretless! :)

I play on a few more though, I want a P bass to put flats on for when I want a vintage vibe, and a Dano Shorthorn bass purely cause Ive wanted one forever :)

15. I'll go with
    1. Why not?
    2. Because I can!
    3. Because I like lots of different tones
    4. I need backup basses for Murphy's Law.

16. Because my fretted Yahamaha doesn't sound like my fretless Fender?

17. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Because I'm rich and fancy.

18. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I'm gonna go with different sounds. I like my PJ, but I also like the sound of my acoustic. I also really like the sound of a Stingray and the sound of a Warwick and would like to get one of each. They all have distinctively different sounds that I like.

19. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Sometimes it's about "the need for multiple sounds" and sometimes it's about the need for possibilities. Currently, I'm using a single bass most of the time. I keep the others because I like them, but also because I may end up finding one of them appropriate if something changes. "Short scale fretless" may not be the right tool - heck, it's probably not always the right tool now, but I get to decide what I do and don't play, so it's seeing the most action.

I've considered selling one or tow of my others, but the chance that I'll want to do what one of them can do somewhere down the line - it just makes sense not to spend the money twice when it's already here.

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Fretted, fretless, 5 string, acoustic, whammy bar, tone, and gas, all my reasons so far.