1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why have they never made a standard scale size mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 27, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I've always wanted but I'm not sure if I can adapt to the smaller scale size. Has anyone tried one?

2. I haven't tried the Mustang but I have a Squire Bronco short scale. I found the shorter scale easy to adapt to, and in fact quite fun. Because I loved the Bronco so much i was considering getting a Mustang but went for a custom shop Maverick instead. The main reason i think that Fender haven't done a long scale mustang is that the body shape wouldn't work with a longer neck, it would be very neck heavy and difficult to play. If you want a long scale you might as well get a precision. Also the mustang was originally introduced as a student model, so the shorter scale was to make it easier to start out on.
    H.

3. What about something like the Sting bass, or the original P-bass with the single coil at the neck? Is that similar?

4. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I first learned on an old fender mustang our school had one, and it had the best neck ever. I think its from the late 60's because it still has the springs for the damper pads. Ash tray is long gone though. Man, I really loved that bass even though it had 3 differnt kinds of strings on it. I should go back and swipe it.