Why have they never made a standard scale size mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 27, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I've always wanted but I'm not sure if I can adapt to the smaller scale size. Has anyone tried one?
  2. I haven't tried the Mustang but I have a Squire Bronco short scale. I found the shorter scale easy to adapt to, and in fact quite fun. Because I loved the Bronco so much i was considering getting a Mustang but went for a custom shop Maverick instead. The main reason i think that Fender haven't done a long scale mustang is that the body shape wouldn't work with a longer neck, it would be very neck heavy and difficult to play. If you want a long scale you might as well get a precision. Also the mustang was originally introduced as a student model, so the shorter scale was to make it easier to start out on.
  3. What about something like the Sting bass, or the original P-bass with the single coil at the neck? Is that similar?
  4. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I first learned on an old fender mustang our school had one, and it had the best neck ever. I think its from the late 60's because it still has the springs for the damper pads. Ash tray is long gone though. Man, I really loved that bass even though it had 3 differnt kinds of strings on it. I should go back and swipe it.