1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why I always come back to Mark King.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 4-string, Oct 4, 2008.

1. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    When I want to listen to some great bass and really have fun, I (still) turn to Level 42. I know there are plenty of no-fans out there (and here), but check out this clip:

Can't wait to see them later this month. ;) :bassist:

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Mark King is a bad boy...no doubt about it...

3. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Been a huge MK/Level42 fan since the beginning. This clip is a bit more current
    He's still the man :bassist:

4. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Hows he get that mid-less slap tone, then go to a middy, growling fingerstyle tone? I'd like to see his EQ.

5. That's the better version.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I don't understand the hate.
    He's got phenomenal technique, and sings on top of it.
    Very, very inspiring player to me.

7. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    One of my favorites without any doubt, plus Level 42 made very enjoyful music....

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's just a monster, and I love his music. I'll be seeing Level 42 for the second time in 8 days time, I'm a big fan! :D

9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Lucky you :spit: ;)

How about some pics?

10. I have been a big Mark King fan for a long time. I met him back stage at the L.A. Forum back in 1988 when Level 42 opened for Tina Turner. Nice guy, great singer and awesome bass player.

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    The really cool thing is that he is still going strong, and as good as ever. Not quite the attitude of his younger days, but Level 42 is still kicking butt. One of the best live bands out there IMO.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    if I can sneak a small camera in I'll get some pics. I'm sure the venue allows them anyway. And yeah, Level 42 do kick a$$ live. It's always amazing to see Mark playing live, and the bass solos are always fantastic! :D And getting the see Gary Husband...the man is a fusion legend! He and Mark should do a "proper" fusion album, the kind of thing Level 42 touched upon with their first two records.

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Here's a pic (phone camera) from The Royal Albert Hall show two years ago. Yes, we had great seats. :)
    Seeing them again in a few weeks, can't wait to see the Status Kingbass MkII in action!

Attached Files:

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm in the 4th row, center block at this show. It seems I always get 4th row tickets when I go to see level 42! :p

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    pm sent

16. Demian

Demian

Oct 2, 2008
    Hanau, Germany
    I'm against hatin', too, got to say that first to avoid any doubt.
    And I have to admit that Kind is hell of bassplayer. His technique is outstanding, phenomenal, I agree with you absolutely about that one, really one great musician. However, when it comes to articulation and personal style, those things that make a musician unique, it comes as well to personal taste. And this is where my agreement about your statement stops. To me, talking about my personal taste now, King is just not what he might be to you or others. I don't like his music very much. I don't doubt King as a musician, it's just not after my fancy, that's all. Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, those are the jazz and funk bassplayers I admire, I look up to, who inspire me and whose music I really enjoy.
    So much about the hating. Maybe many people feel the same or say a similar way then me but don't put it like that.

17. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Played alternate bar gigs with his brother nathan many, many years ago.. secret is hes as good if not faster and more crazy than Mark...what a family!! Not my thing at all but you gotta admire the technique.... amazing..

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Newcastle, at the city hall. I saw them at the Sage center last time and the sound was just amazing. I'll be picking this DVD up when it comes out! :D What are they touring for? Getting some momentum going for a new record?

19. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I'll wave at you. :)

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm not a big fan of Level 42, but I'm a HUGE fan of Mr. King's style, tone and overall musicianship. This is a great CD (Just an excuse to show my autographed copy one more time :D):

MKLiveAtJazzCafefront.

Here's a funny MK-related video, BTW.