Why I am never playing pickstyle again...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, May 14, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    So yeah I was pulled in by a few friends to play Rush's YYZ at the local eclectic rock concert. I love the song, but as most of you know, it's fast, really technically difficult, and as a self-taught player, i know very little about technique. So being a fool, i find out that i can play the bass fills faster with my favorite thumb pick (the kind that allows you to switch between pickstyle and fingerstyle with no effort), and play the rest of the song faster with standard fingerstyle.

I was playing keyboard of all things the act before, so i clipped my pick to the brim of my hat. (typical bassist style i hide my face under my beat up red sox hat. :cool: ) the problem was, I didn't realize it but the pick apparently fell off backstage.

So i'm standing onstage going Oh S* Oh S* where's my pick?!? I looked around, and halfway through the song dove to the floor and picked up some dirty dicarded peice of plastic and managed to mangle my way through the last few fills.

I absolutely hated it, and hated the stupid fool who first came up with the idea of "picks".

Well moral of the story is: you can't lose your fingers. I'm never EVER going to half ass learning the technique of a song by useing a pick.
  2. What you need is a device called a Wedgie. It's a rubber pick holder that clips onto your strings behind the nut.

Or if your bass has a pickguard, simply slip spare picks between the pickguard and the body.

I don't have any problem with a bassist using a pick, as long as they are playing the instrument like it should be played i.e. not like a guitar.

I like a Dunlop .60mm nylon pick. It's thin and I find I can get more speed than with a thicker one. I've never used a thumb pick though.
  3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Well moral of the story is: you can't lose your fingers.

Well, the other moral of the story is: you could.
  4. Jesus man. Don't let one really stupid move on YOUR part hinder your musical ability. Do you curse at the car companies for making sedans when you can't find your car keys?
  5. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What you need is a device called....a spare pick. You stick it in your pocket just in case...you know....you lose the first one?
  6. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Yeah the problem is i'm just stupid.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

I do believe that's a new signature for me :).
  8. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm honored....

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez. So you're going to make a permanent, life-changing decision because you lost your pick? Well then, I'm never going to answer my phone again because that's how I learned my dad died.
  10. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    And I'm not going to use my D string anymore because I broke it last gig.
  11. And I'm never gonna type again becasue I just made a typo.
  12. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    jeez i'm getting beat up aren't I? please folks. i had hoped i'd get laughed at not mugged... :meh:

I appologize. I thought that this was a rather funny occurance that maybe some of you could relate to.

I also think my last point was not half-assing by using a pick... If i had known that i was going to stir up this much flame, i would not have used the slight hyperbole.
  13. Don't sweat it man- we don't!

I for one, am never going to use the internet again. This way, I'll never have to see a pop-up.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, don't you worry. We're laughing at you, so it all worked out, man.
  15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

My daughter plays acoustic and electric guitar in our church's youth worship team. One Sunday, she and another young fellow were doing an acoustic accompaniment to a few songs during the service. My daughter's only been playing for a couple of years but she practices all the time, is taking lessons, and has an impeccable sense of rhythm. I was proud to see her in front of 250 people and doing as well as she was. It was going really good and they sounded great together.

Part of the way through one song, my 17 yr. old just stops playing on her stool and only sings. I realize she's lost her pick and hold up my fingers as if to say, "You can use your fingers too you know".

After the song, she steps off her stool, takes her guitar off, and holds it above her head, shaking it vigorously for 10-15 seconds until her pick comes out of her acoustic guitar. She scoops it up and resumes the set.

Everybody got a laugh out of it and I told everyone that times were tough and we couldn't afford to give our kid more than one guitar pick at a time.

I hardly every use a pick, but when I do, I ALWAYS have an extra at hand.
  16. I always have an extra dozen or so lying on top of my amp, just in case!
  17. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    ok, well if you play pick, keep extra. this is where one of those army jackets with all the pockets come in handy, you can store a couple sets of picks. it works of you switch style all the time.
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That IS actually why I dropped picks from my repitoire. I loose them far too easily and its easier for me to just force myself to practice songs until I can play them with my fingers than keep track of where my f*cking picks wander off to...
  19. Those are too sweet to pass up. It'll be kinda hard to strike the strings with your ears, though, won't it?