Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why I didnt get into the band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lowner, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    This guy I work with is trying to start a band and he put up a notice on the bullitin board for a bass player. i decided to audition. I thought I really nailed the auditon. But today at work he told me that I didnt get into the band. Wanna know why? I play with a pick 90% of the time ANd when I tend to move around a lot when I play. I like to dance a bit and even headbang a bit at time. Not crazy like Cliff burton used to but along those lines. He said that its his job(the guitar player) to move around like that and the bass player should "just stand there and keep the time." And bass players dont play with a pick they use their fingers. "Its plain wrong to play with a pick he said. What a crock i dont need that is guy's stupid band anyway!!!!!

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You wouldn't want to be in a Band run by a dufus anyway.

3. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Come on man, everybody knows bass isn't really an instrument anyways, you're just there because you suck at guitar and they are trying to make you feel better...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What morons. I have a pick under my pickguard just in case, no matter what.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, he sounds like a typical idiot guitarist. Really, guitar was originally played with fingers (flamenco and such), so he can suck an egg.

6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    you should have told him that 'it's a girl thing...you wouldn't understand'
    ;)
    seriously, though...he's a putz, and doesn't deserve you.
    when geet players have lead guitar disease, the only cure is cauterization...starting at the weewee.

7. The last time I was at the local music store I was told something similar. A man was in there with his young daughter and he said something along the lines of, "See, when you play bass you're supposed to have a serious face. Bass players aren't allowed to smile."
    Idiots. :mad:

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    oh snap and +1

while everyone here apparently knows my view on picks... bugging me... :rollno:, i'm opposed to that "hide in the corner bassist" stereotype, and i support you vs. the bigot guitarist.

9. just tell him that all guitarist are failed bassist, you know its hard to play something this big with everyone complaining you to loud all the time. :eyebrow: becuase what bassist hasent been told to turn down. really

10. I haven't. My guitarist keeps telling me to turn up :D

11. yes, the problem is that the bass player is the guy that can do everyone elses job as well as his own! this is why a; he doesn't move around, coz he's tryin to make sure da music is as good as it should be, and b; he gets told to turn down, so that he's not showing up the other "musicians"! if people feel threatened by you they'll make your life hard! and the ladies lurve the bass as we all know!! :bassist:

12. When my dad used to coach a team and run the hockey league in my town, I remember that a lot of people would give goalies a hard time. Saying that they couldn't skate worth a tube sock and that's why they stay in the net. My dad told me, and everyone else, that the goalie should be one of, if not the strongest skater on the team. The reason was that although they didn't appear to be moving, they needed it for what they did do. (fast reflexes, control, etc) I find a lot of that can be related to when people say bassists just aren't good enough for guitar.

13. I can honestly say that, in over 3 decades, I have NEVER been told/asked to turn down. :D :D

14. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I dont see why everyone is convinced that guitar is so much harder than bass. I know all you bass players know its not, but im talking about most guitarists, Oh it only has 4 strings of course its easier, blah blah blah.

And as for being not cut out for guitar, I can play pretty much the same things as my guitarist can except for a few songs, and he can barely hold my bass. So please, its the other way around if anything. There just used to holding there smaller necks to much, they get lost. :eyebrow:

15. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    As for the guitarist, I get tired of showing them the chords.

And truthfully I'm usually getting told to turn it up!

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Obviously has never seen Iron Maiden live.

17. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    He's an attention whore.

Move on.

18. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    actually, here in ireland they do, or they're idiots. most of my female friends pay more attention to me and my bass than they do to any guitarist, maybe the age of the bassist is coming, where there shall be two bassists per band, keyboardists shall have their left hand chopped off and guitarists shall be banished to that dark corner of the stage.
    :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :D :hyper: :hyper: :bag:

the others, are idiots, recent comment from a friend, "what's an amp?" :spit:

19. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    HELL!! You say, Ireland??
    I must move there as soon as possible....
    In Czech republic, bassist are standing almost behind their own amps... :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

20. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Make your own band and kick his ass with your music :) :) :)