Why I don't want to sing...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ok, so until a while ago I was a bit egocentric. I wanted to sing for my band, if not lead then at least backups. Mainly because nobody I know around me really appreciates bass the way I do. But I'm getting pretty good at bass now and I decided that for one gig I was gonna not do vocals and get a bit technical with my basslines, altering bits and peices, doing fills etc.
    It was my best gig, people where asking me how I got good (im nothing special but this felt good) and I was playing really fast with my fingers and everything, which i dont generally do. We played Ytse Jam by dream theatre (which we normally dont do because I havent really been good enough to do it live) and it went off. I did the bass solo perfectly, I was very happy.

And thats why I don't want to sing anymore, I'm getting good enough to steal a lil' bit of spotlite without needing to sing, like my guitarist and drummer.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Trust me, keep the singing skills up. There will be a day when you will be looking for another gig, and it will be between you and a bassist of lesser skills who can sing well. Guess who will get the gig?
  3. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    do you reckon les claypools bass playing suffers as a result of his singing?
    i dont.
    whats the name of your band?
  4. 1. Don't listen to other people either when they tell you you're good or otherwise. That way lies madness my friend. :meh:

2. If your playing is such that you feel you can steal some spotlight from your drummer and singer "without needing to sing", I would seriously question your motives for doing it in the first place.. :(

3. Totally agree that you should keep up with the singing. If I had a quid for every job I have failed to get due to the fact that I could'nt do BVs, I'd be a very wealthy man. ;)
  5. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada

6. The bands called Orion, we're still in school so yeh.

And I agree with you, I need to keep my vocal skills up yes, and I will. I just dont feel i need to in my band as it stands now.

Just to let you know, I didn't used to do vocals, I used to just bass it up and people would walk up to my band and not even know I was in it. Now, they say 'who's that bassist' etc, and I did itwithout having to sing etc.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I'm proud of myself because people recognise me for being a bassist, and not a singer. So don't worry, I'm gonna carry on singing.
  7. +47
  8. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
  9. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    If you're REALLY good, you can do both. There are few songs that you can't sing and play at the same time if you practice.
  10. Yep. Always grow as a musician first, bassist second. Stealing spotlight as a bassist (without vocals) is pretty hard to do and maintain musical integrity. But... if you want the spotlight, get good at both and then front your band!

Also, if you once were egocentric, you still are! You might be able to control it better now, but you'll eventually crave the spotlight and realize that merely making your basslines fancier doesn't usually get the attention of the average show-goer. Vocal skills and stage presence along with great bass skills however.... and you don't have to take a back seat to ANYONE.

I love guys who can be in a band and be happy playing from the back of the stage and keep a nice tight pocket with the drummer while the singers sing and guitarists shred, but that ain't for everyone. And that's OK.