1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why I hate slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kreider204, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    from the "Can't slap/pop to save my life" thread:

Here you go. :hyper:

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    I hate slap and pop when it's done by wankers with no tasteful playing skills to speak of.

Just like I hate pick and fingerstyle playing when it's done by wankers with no tasteful playing skills to speak of.

:cool:

3. I think it sounds bleh.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    That's pretty much me too. I like it just fine in the right context. I think what turns me off to it is every time I go into a music store and hear some one slapping as quickly and loud as possible in that "Look at me, I'm so cool!" way that guitarists do with two-handed tapping and such.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So you "hate" something because it sounds "Bleh", eh?

hmmmm

I guess that explains folks who insist they "Hate" p-basses or "Hate" certain amps...

6. +1 to what Tim C. said.
    Any technique is appropriate if its used to make a tasteful and meaningful musical statement or if it feels good.
    ...which is of course an amazingly subjective thing to consider. ;)

For me, if it's a neo-jazz wankfest, with as many 32nd notes crammed in as possible, I'm usually turned off almost immediately.
    Some nice old school thump a la Larry Graham? I'll take that any day of the week.

7. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    As I once wrote in a thread a looong time ago:

I used to like the technique until people started calling it "slapping". For some reason, that term annoyed me because it sounded like too glib of a description for it. Then about ten years or so ago it prevented me from spending too much time in music stores. :rollno:

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I admit that I can't do it well (and gave up trying, for now) and am jealous of those who can.

But the only time I "hate slapping" is when it is used purely for showing off (which is very often).

This is the same reason I hate drum solos, two handed tapping on guitar and vocal embellishing ad naseum on the national anthem.

10. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I cant really HATE anything related to bass... I love the bass world..

But I rarely find a place for slapping in a song....Not to mention Im no slapping genius!

Dont hate - RELATE!

11. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I heard Fender was raising their prices on players that are seen slapping the bass in the music store.

12. I hate to hate- it's so hateful.

13. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Because they can't do. Those who can't slap hate it to excuse their ineptitude. Go suck on that!

I hate alternate tunings because I can't play my bass when the intonation is screwed up.

I hate P-basses because my tiny little hands can't get around the surfboard neck.

I hate jazz because I can't read, or name the notes on my bass, much less the chords.

14. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    It's been abused as a shortcut to sounding funky. To the point that it's flipped over to become the signature sound of commercial, sterile, soul-less music.

15. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area

So I hate people who spit loogies because I can't spit loogies?

You've kinda ignored the whole concept of a willingness and desire to learn.

16. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I agree completely!

17. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    well, if you applied the broken logic I stated before correctly, you would hate spitting loogies because you can't spit loogies.

I agree that slapping has been over done a million times over. But to "hate" a technique is ridiculous. If you don't like it, that's fine. I hate these "I hate" threads.

18. hatred is all this world needs now

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It turns my cheeks red.

20. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Some people dont' like slap bass. Some people hate it because they can't do it. Some people hate it because they genuinely don't like the sound. If you hate it, that's fine. If you want to reach out to other TBer's who hate it and talk about why you don't like it then I have no problem with that. I don't understand what possesses someone to read a thread titled, "Why I Hate Slapping" if they like slapping and then proceed to argue with the poster as if they are going to somehow change their minds. I personally don't have a problem with slap bass and have been known to do it but I understand the issues that people have with it to a certain extent, especially when you are in a music store. I couldn't care less if someone hates it. That is their OPINION and they are entitled to have it and discuss it. Some of these threads degenerate into some of the most juvenile stuff I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.