Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why I picked my Fodera over any other bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Dec 30, 2002.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I was in a situation 3 months ago or so, having made a bunch of $$ from doing some studio work (both playing the bass and working as a Producer), I was in a position after selling a guitar to buy pretty much any bass I wanted that was under $5000

I had plenty of options and tried out many possibilities including Vintage Fender, Warwick, Fodera, Sadowsky, Spector, Ibanez. the thought of getting a pre-CBS Fender was there because they are a good investment, however mainly I wanted a player that will last with me along time. also I realized pretty quickly that Sadowsky's and Fodera's hold their own value pretty well on the used market...the thought of getting 2 or 3 different basses was there too, but ultimately I wanted just one fantastic bass rather than 3 pretty darn good ones

it ended up being an easy choice for me in getting the Fodera VW Monarch 4 string. definitely the very best bass out there FOR ME. in other words it fits my hands best and works for what I want it to the best

I felt that both the Fodera and Sadowsky basses SMOKED the competition (including the best Fenders and Warwick's) in every way especially playability and variety of tones

just my own personal experience

2. Good choice. Those are great basses.

Good luck and play the heck out of it.

Aloha,

Jonathan

3. I'm with ya! I am having a blast with my 4 string VW Monarch. It is a great compliment to my Sadowsky Vintage 5.

I've never played better basses than these two. The only downside is that for once I'm not pursuing my next bass!!

Congrats for finding "the one"!

Jeff

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Hey, I'm right there with ya. Congrats on the bass. Sounds like you like yours as much as I like mine. Have you already posted pics. If you have I'm sorry but I have a short memory, maybe you could refresh it.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I love my VW classic. Lots of punch, cool tone, light and looks great. I also love my Sadowsky, Pensa, and Celinder. I prefer the Sadowsky sound and usually run my basses passive through Roger's DI/preamp box. It's "the sound" as far as I'm concerned. Play the strings off that bass! They're the coolest:)

Rob

6. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I've never had the chance to play a Sadowsky. Sounds like I've really been missin' something. How would you describe the difference in tone? Got clips?

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I see you're a Fodera fan. I don't know if you're missing anything by not playing a Sadowsky. They have a real nice traditional sound to them. Beautifully made, the best fret work, usually light, and a joy to play. I think his preamp is the simplest to use. Volume, pan, bass boost, treble boost!! The best setup for live situations(where it really matters!!) Roger's preamp has a nice warm punch to it but not muddy. Lots of definition. I've owned pretty much every type of bass with every preamp and have yet to find a preamp that sounds better. Great live and for recording. Try one when you get a chance. The first time I played one, I wasn't impressed but after spending a couple hours with one, I quickly realized how wonderful they were

Rob

8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I'm using a Sadowsky DI/Pre-Amp as a DI along with my Fodera VW bass....great combination and the best of both worlds

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Huh, that's 2. I like the sound of my Emperor, but could it be better? The Sadowsky pre is 2 band right? That's okay cuz the Emp's got mid for days.

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I always use Roger's DI/pre for live no matter what bass I happened to pick for the gig. I've had 2 emporers(elite and deluxe) and a NYC. I still have the VW classic. I always thought the DI was the right live setup regardless of the bass:)

Rob

11. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Rob,

That sounds like a very nice collection. I'll have to keep my eye open for a Sadowsky pre. I've been thinkin' that somewhere down the line I'll get a more powerful head. And I am looking at QSC. Lots of good clean power for little $. But they don't have an eq section. So I'll need a pre. This may be a silly question, but do you think the Sadowsky pre would work in that application?

Any how back to the Foderas. I recently built a wooden control cavity cover for mine. Here's a pic.

12. Nice cover! You did a great job with it!

I think there is quite a difference in tone between my VW Monarch and the Sad Vintage 5. The Monarch is definitely more "modern" sounding with a bell-like tone and sustain for days. The Sad is warm and punchy - everywhere on the neck, and growly when you need it. It's very responsive with a fantastic "B". The workmanship is flawless.

I thought the Emperors I've played were closer to the tone of my Sadowsky than my Monarch.

I had a Sad outboard pre that I traded for a Fodera outboard. I didn't think I needed the Sad since I had two Sadowskys basses. Having used both, I prefer the Sadowsky preamp. It just seem more natural sounding and is very simple to dial in the tone I wanted.

Have fun with your new bass!
    Jeff

13. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Bethanybass, I have a QSC 2402 and a Demeter pre. I keep the Demeter basically set up flat and pump up the QSC to whatever I need. Depending on the PA, I might use the DI part of the Sadowsky pre for the PA line in and use my amp just for stage volume to help the drummer. If it's a small venue, maybe not. I like my Epifanit 2x12.

Jeff is right. The Sadowsky pre sounds "natural". Sort of like what your boutique bass sounds like acoustically. The nice thing is that you can also tweak a bit and get a good agressive tone or roll off the highs for a good old fashioned thump!!

Go to http://www.sadowsky.com

They are only about $200 and you won't regret the investment.

By the way, nice wood cover. Totally cool!!

Rob

14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I just got back from the Fodera shop a few hours ago and have yet another reason for believing in them and their basses:

I got an Emperor Elite 5 string off of ebay about a month ago. The bass looks amazing and sounds great as well. The pick-ups were linear humbuckers although they look identical (from the outside) to standard single coil jazz pick-ups. I mentioned to Joey and Vinnie that the bass could have a bit more 70's J-bass to it and Joey immediately pulled out a set of Aero Instruments single-coils and asked if I wanted to check them out.

He soldered it up and I am now 110% satisfied with the bass. It sounded good before, but it sounds amazing now. The Aeros' brought the bass up another level.

Anyway, in my long winded way, I'm relating another story of how the Fodera guys once again provided me with a level of customer service that far exceeds what I expected.

Whether you're Anthony Jackson or just a regular Joe(l) like me, they treat you like a well respected customer.

And that's why I love my Fodera(s)!:)

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I agree. That's the beauty with dealing with a small, specialized company. I've had similar experiences with them and with Roger Sadowsky and Stuart Spector. All three makers are a pleasure to work with. A far cry from the mass produced bass companies.

Rob

16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

Word. Customer service goes much further with me then the quality of the insturments. I mean, when you are paying over 2K for an electric bass, it's going to be made with a equal amount of attention all around. At least it should. After that, it's all about how much the builder believes in his/her work. The Fodera guys are the best! When I was thinking of ordering one, Joey told me if I didn't like what they built, he'd make another bass. And keep doing it untill it's right. That's what I'm talking about!!

Joel, got any pictures??

Good Lord...look at that!
    [​IMG]

17. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Hey thanks for the advice, and the compliments guys.

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Joelc73,

I'll be damned, I met you there today when I was there, your bass was the "twin" to that other guys that came in for a "check-up".

Folks, I've said it before & I'll say it again, Vinnie & Joey + their staff are "THE BEST" when it comes to customer service. They literally drop everything they're doing to help you with a problem or question.

later,
    Satan

19. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hey DEVILMAN,
    Small world. It was great meeting you at the shop. Good luck with your bass. When will it be delivered?

20. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Here is a photo of the line-up: