1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why I Squier: Hack Repair Jobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EricssonB, Jul 14, 2014.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I proudly maintain a budget inventory of instruments. Second-hand deals from friends, inherited from family, folks forgot to take them back...

In this case, my $30 yard sale find. The leaf on the G tuner was loose and buzzing. I tried glue, I tried solder, I tried pliers with all my might -- all to no success. A tight layer of tape seemed the best measure for the last year and a half. Even still, it seemed to suck the attack and sustain from the entire instrument, like a built-in distortion. Ugh.

Got fed up with it last night and took it to the garage for it to be what stopped my hammer from hitting the vice anvil. Oh no. I left a mark! Probably could have prevented that. Oh well. The instrument functions perfectly now, and for that, I am glad.

N8CyqTH.

oerk likes this.
  2. Nice. Looks like something I'd do.

3. autotech6506

autotech6506

Mar 3, 2014
    You'd be surprised how much you can fix with a hamer

SunnBass likes this.
  4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    scepterbass.

adamsmatthewj and Nino Valenti like this.
  5. ... Cuz sometimes even duct tape doesn't cut it.

Bugeyed Earl and eukatheude like this.
  6. If you can't fix it with a hammer, your problem is electrical.

7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Next time?

Solder.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Forge forward young ErikssonB.

Nothing wrong with peening a press fit metal joint or rivet with a ball peen hammer to tighten it up. Just be careful next time.

9. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Nice. I have one or two basses that do that, including the Yammy in my avatar (teaches me not to forcefully stuff gig bags in already packed cars).

For now, hot glue holds up pretty well, but when it ultimately fails, it's hammer time!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Squeezing the end of the split post between 1/8" thick brass shims in the jaws of my vise worked for me and left no mark but what works works.

96tbird likes this.
  11. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    This probably would have been a better utilization of the vice, but then I wouldn't have a story to tell.

"Yeah, I fixed it.

...and that is all."