Why I think Cliff Burton is Overrated

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RustyNails, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Understood.

MF seemed to be one of those overlooked bands because many people couldn't get past King Diamond's voice. King is an amazing song writer and always surrounded himself with amazing musicians....... Imo, of course.

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Cliff ‘em all was what sold me. Hendrix is the only other musician I’ve ever heard that really touched my soul like him.

since197three likes this.
  3. Yeah that’s how it is for me for a lot of 70s and 80s bands. I often just can’t stand the vocal styles. Same with Rush even. I dig Geddys bass playing but always liked hearing them jam songs instrumentally more

4. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    Everybody have their opinion about him,but to me,i think that you do not like his playing,which is ok - you do not have to,but not proving hi is overrated
    by any means.Just check out how many people like his style and so on,fens,how many records have sold Metallica (hi still in the band),concerts and so on and so on.I have not heard or read what official overrated assessments are?Please,point them out? I hope so not to do offense toward you,but that statement,that hi sounds like 12 year old,make my day more fun.Thank you about.
    Would you post how do you play?I really doubt.....because there will be people saying that you are overrated too and you will be disappointed,which means to me,that this kind of threads are waste of time.Good luck.Take no offense,i did not mean it.

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

The drummer for my current band was the drummer for Trauma.

Bass Growler likes this.
  6. MidnightRunner

MidnightRunner

Mar 21, 2021
    See this list.
    Top 10 Best Bassists of All Time
    He is ranked #1. This is proof enough that he is overrated. No way he deserve to be ranked ahead of Entwistle and Geddy Lee.

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    And so is every single song on billboard Top 40.

It's pretty old news and really shouldn't surprise anyone that user rated lists like these are totally absurd and tells absolutely nothing about the quality of whoever happens to be most popular according to the respective topic of said lists.

8. So much jealousy.

Burt Cliffton kicked ass!

DrMole likes this.
  9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I think something that gets lost is Cliff was only 24 when he died. He wrote and played Anesthesia Pulling Teeth at 20-21. He played Orion at 23-24. He had amazing chops for a person his age. Lee and Entwistle have decades more of material, so it isn't really a fair comparison.
    People definitely place Cliff on a pedestal because he died so young, and at the top of his game. Like Randy Rhoads or Jimi Hendrix, that deified him in a lot of people's eyes.
    Then of course lists like that are popularity contests. Entwistle died 18 years ago and isn't particularly well known outside of Boomers anymore. Lee and Burton played two very different kinds of music, and I would hazard that Metallica has a little more pull with a broader audience than Rush does, and Cliff is very much part of that legacy.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Cliff may or may not have been the best bass player ever in Metallica. Once we have recordings where we can hear the other guys, we can make a definitive decision.

11. MidnightRunner

MidnightRunner

Mar 21, 2021
    Randy Rhoads is another guy who I find to be quite overrated as a guitar player because he died young. I'm shocked to see that so many rock fans put him in the contest with Eddie Van Halen. He just doesn't deserve it.
    And I think you are wrong about Entwistle. On all Internet lists/polls of Greatest rock bassists today you'll see him being placed near the top or at the top. He was arguably the most groundbreaking bass player in the rock history and he cannot be ignored by musicians of all generations.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    If Randy had lived longer I think his legacy might have changed. Plus he never had a chance to have the inevitable falling out with Ozzy and Sharon.

Internet polls are nothing more than a snapshot of the demographics of the people using the site.
    Among older bass players, I'm sure Entwistle's legacy is more assured. However, among people my age (Gen X) or younger, The Who and by extension Entwistle aren't really a thing. They are the band that isn't the Beatles or The Stones.

13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Cliff Richard was one of the best songwriters to walk the earth, you jerk. Why you gotta slag him like this?

Incidentally, all those bass parts you hate so much were played by other people. Cliff Richard didn’t play bass.

14. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark

Master of Puppets Vs. Living Doll?

Sock puppet?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021