1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why I'd never put my gear in a storage space

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dalkowski, Mar 11, 2013.

1. So I'm listening to sports radio this morning and one of the on-air personalities told of going to his rented storage space this weekend and discovering that, sometime in the last 5 years, someone had ripped five of the seven guitars he had there (including a Les Paul), leaving behind the cases.

Not that I need a reason to not store my gear in one of those places, but I have one now!

2. Lame! Sounds like who ever took them knew they were there. It could happen anywhere even your own place :ninja:
    Anyway I wouldn't want to leave my instruments in storage because I like to maintain and play them. Then again I really don't have expensive basses :atoz:

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe his locker will end up on Storage Wars pretty soon ;-)

4. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    I'd be paranoid about checking my gear if it was sitting in a storage space. I wouldn't let it go 5 days without checking in to make sure everything is alright, let alone 5 years! I've had guitars swiped out of my house. It could happen anywhere, really.

5. When he started telling the story, my first rxn was, "Whuck were you thinking?!?"

6. I have kept gear in storage. Not a big deal seeing how gear can
    get ripped off from anywhere. Actually it is probably safer in
    storage than at home. Either way always have insurance.

7. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    sometime in the last 5 years???? doesnt sound like the guitars were all that important to him anyways. maybe somebody is at least playing it now.

8. I imagine the combination of marriage, fatherhood and his radio career taking off put the guitars on the back back back burner. Happens.

9. I've had my lock disappear on a storage space once. However,
    it didn't appear that anything was missing. Either they weren't
    interested in my stuff or it was too big to take away (e.g. snow
    blower, trailer).

Sometimes, I wish that stuff would disappear. :p

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

An important secret can easily be found in the quote above^^.

However, unless you live in a crack house, I don't see any way that instruments exposed to temperature changes and absentee landlordship would be safer in storage than at your home.

11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Untended property WILL walk from wherever it is left unattended. The lesson here is practice the necessary due diligence or get rid of the gear. Thieves are everywhere and are often very crafty.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    rxn ??

Whuck ??

What dictionary did you get those words from?

13. MegaSwing

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Actually I think it's pretty clever.

14. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    not too tough to figure out:

Rxn = reaction.
    Whuck= what the f_#k

15. rxn: Reaction. I was in a hurry.

Whuck: From "30 Rock," a contraction of "what the f***." Actually, when I typed in the acronyn, it showed up as "***."

16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    if someone were working out of the country or in the military they may not be able to check on their gear

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

I presume you are a Steve Miller fan as well?

18. MegaSwing

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Once in a while. ;)

19. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Insdie job. Someone he knew and who knew they were there.

20. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Check out this Rolling Stone article. Garth Hudson of The Band has been having a hell of a time dealing with the owner of a storage facility where he had a lot of his equipment. Thankfully, this article has shed some light on the corrupt conduct of the owner of that storage facility, who was even trying to auction off some of Garth's gear & memorabilia.

And on a similar note, I was really surprised to see something on television this past week. Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick was on American Pickers, and had the guys over to his storage facility to pick through some memorabilia. And it looked like he had his stuff in a similar storage facility. Including what appear to be some pretty pricey instruments.

And I have to scratch my head over the decision of these guys, with nearly legendary status in the music community, to put their equipment in storage and having it somewhat at risk. It just takes ONE wrong person to know how or where all of this gear is being stored, and it can be a major problem.